Hoplias Mala

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
yo i would like to ask what tankmates should i choose for my hoplias mala( which i ll buy in one week) in a 500g tank :) thanks in advance

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Lol that doesn't help. I wouldn't call a mala an apex predator. Or any fish that you can keep in a 500g. Hell a great white isn't even one technically since orcas predate on them.

Are you looking at other characins specifically? Or catfish? Polys? Gar? Aros? Or if you wanna make things really easy. Tell us specific species your interested in keeping with it and we can tell you the possibilities.

Jaycee

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
Canada
My mala is an absolute stone cold killer. Once he gets full size there is no way he would be suitable for any tankmates in any size tank.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
My mala is an absolute stone cold killer. Once he gets full size there is no way he would be suitable for any tankmates in any size tank.
Highly doubt it'd bother a soul in some of the monster set ups some members have on this site.

What size tank is it in and how big so far? Should make a thread for it with some pics. Share the experience.

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
Well i m interested in some characins of course and an aro (jardini one or an asian)

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
What are the dimensions of the 500g? A wolf and a jar may work in the tank. I would worry about the jar or even asian aros starting with the wolf. Some of the characins id suggest would be more open water but again I'd fear the are bullying it. if you go say the black aro route I think it would open up options to say odoe, tats, leporinus species though they may nip the aros fins so this can be an option if you go jar route since it'll defend itself, SD

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store