Dat personality

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
What are their personalities like ? Interactive?
I know nothing about dats so if anyone can chime on on the differences and sizes within this species id really appreciate it. Might be something my son would be interested in reading about and possibly owning

K krichardson Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683 would appreciate your input

Reactions: Matteus

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Also can you guys explain the color changing. Not sure if im using the right terminology but i thought i read somewhere that theres a stability thing

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The most interactive species would be the ST which costs thousands of dollars.The other species can be interactive and outgoing but it will depend on the individual fish and will likley take quite some some time before they begin to respond to the owner.
The most commonly available are indos,thinbars and the least popular silver dat and they all can grow very large over time.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
The most interactive species would be the ST which costs thousands of dollars.The other species can be interactive and outgoing but it will depend on the individual fish and will likley take quite some some time before they begin to respond to the owner.
The most commonly available are indos,thinbars and the least popular silver dat and they all can grow very large over time.
I was browsing the sticky and still a little lost. So what species is the smallest growing ? Something that wouldnt bust the tank lol

Some online pics show them being truly massive but in the sticky theres comments stating 16, 18, 24 inches in the aquarium...

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
They are slow growing and take years to reach those maximum sizes. I think the silver dat is probably the smallest grower but there is debate as to whether or not silvers should be kept in brackish waters.
Take a ride up here before you head down south and I'll give you a nice deal on an indo lol.

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Depends indo are hit and miss. Currently i have a batch of suoer stabke interactive indos. Im on the hunt for a ST but haven't founf the right fish. I say get a few message me on messenger i cam share vids and pics easier if your interested. But dats are awesome when you get the right ones. You get a scared one can be frustrating and boring.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
You may have already read it but I'll post a link from seriously fish. The info is normally quite accurate in comparison to other places. There is a section explaining the difference between the available species, how to distinguish, sizes, etc..You can individually search for each species of dat. The one I am posting is for Datnioides Microlepis

I've read about them a bit myself as they inhabit the same waters as clown loaches.

On fish being shy, although not dat related, my first clown loach group was so scared the first few years, it was frustrating. They hid the moment someone walked in, impossible to see unless I crawled into the room on all fours.

Fast forward a few years, they now bite my fingers and don't hide at all. Patience and not stressing the fish with unnecessary tank re-arrangements, poking with the siphon near them, etc..and they can turn around completely, providing you are really set at keeping the fish.

Reactions: Vancouver_98683

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
They are slow growing and take years to reach those maximum sizes. I think the silver dat is probably the smallest grower but there is debate as to whether or not silvers should be kept in brackish waters.
Take a ride up here before you head down south and I'll give you a nice deal on an indo lol.

Lol trying to make the move harder on me lol

Reactions: Matteus

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Depends indo are hit and miss. Currently i have a batch of suoer stabke interactive indos. Im on the hunt for a ST but haven't founf the right fish. I say get a few message me on messenger i cam share vids and pics easier if your interested. But dats are awesome when you get the right ones. You get a scared one can be frustrating and boring.
Will do. You know i use the wifes account and forget how to log into messenger lol
You may have already read it but I'll post a link from seriously fish. The info is normally quite accurate in comparison to other places. There is a section explaining the difference between the available species, how to distinguish, sizes, etc..You can individually search for each species of dat. The one I am posting is for Datnioides Microlepis

I've read about them a bit myself as they inhabit the same waters as clown loaches.

On fish being shy, although not dat related, my first clown loach group was so scared the first few years, it was frustrating. They hid the moment someone walked in, impossible to see unless I crawled into the room on all fours.

Fast forward a few years, they now bite my fingers and don't hide at all. Patience and not stressing the fish with unnecessary tank re-arrangements, poking with the siphon near them, etc..and they can turn around completely, providing you are really set at keeping the fish.
Thx will check out the link

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
NTT - passive and shy. Once they settle in they do get personable. Best gold/yellow colors, but have a reputation for Sudden Death syndrome after hitting 10” plus. I’m currently growing out 2 4” but have had in the past. One died at 8” and others I sold off (6-7”)

AT - American tiger. Silver dat. Have a reputation for not making it pass 10” in size. Perhaps, the debate for them requiring salinity holds true. I’m on my 3rd Silver (9”) and none have made it past 10”.

NGT- is the best brightest one with the yellow and black bumble bee. Always stable but the biggest potential *******. It's the jardini aro of the bunch. Current one is about 13” but sold off others half the size.

IT Indonesian - the most common. The least shy. Solo is the way to go with them to be be stable. They tend to go unstable in a group imo. You may get frustrated if U get one that stays dark (unstable) 50% of the time, or hides. It's a toss up but odds of a more stable one is a solo indo w/cichlid type tankmates. This may your best route.

Overview : Datnoids are a personable fish. Will follow your son from side to side for food. U can hand feed up top. U can hold out of the water for some bodacious photo ops ;-) Target one about 6” and will hit about 12” in a year, but slows way down after that.

Quick Clip of mine. Got all 3 at large sizes In order: 13” yellow indo, 15” brown Indo, 13” New Guinea

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store