How good is Herring as food?

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
I noticed some pellets have herring in it, is herring a good food? I know you should avoid mammalian meats in pellets, but what about bird related pellets?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I know you should avoid mammalian meats in pellets, but what about bird related pellets?
Unfortunately there are fish pellets with hydrolyzed feather meal. Avoid these for our pet fish. (yeah I know there are some fish that eat birds, but most of the ones we keep don't)

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Well I was just reading that tiger sharks eat song birds....
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2019/05/baby-tiger-sharks-eat-songbirds/
I guess it fits the thread?
Cheer up Mike!
Yep out of fairness to OP there are quite a few monster fish, freshwater too, that will happily eat birds if they have a chance; arowana are known to munch on them, I'm sure so do gar, arapaima etc. Here's a video (in Japanese) of a giant catfish that eats pigeons like popcorn:

Reactions: Jexnell

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
Yep out of fairness to OP there are quite a few monster fish, freshwater too, that will happily eat birds if they have a chance; arowana are known to munch on them, I'm sure so do gar, arapaima etc. Here's a video (in Japanese) of a giant catfish that eats pigeons like popcorn:

I know some people feed chicken, turkey, etc. to their fish. Only time I fed some sort of a bird to a fish was when I found a dead baby bird that was kicked out of it's nest, I put some pellets down it's throat to gutload it and then I froze it to kill any internal parasites or diseases, then I fed it to my Jardini (kept it in a 6 foot diameter 30 inch high inflatable pool, 500 gallons), he more than happily ate it. I know a lot of larger fish will eat birds, reptiles, amphibians, and small mammals, but I don't like feeding them to my fish now that I know better. I know mammals aren't healthy, I'm not sure about birds, reptiles, or amphibians though, I've just stuck to insects and fish. I will say though, I have witness muskies and pikes eat ducks while I've been fishing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store