How to get rays off pellets

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Here in sweden you can buy hikari massivore in bulk of 1kg for around 80usd. But ive been looking for cheaper pellets since i got to much fish. I go trough a 250g bag of cichlid gold sinking in one day with all my fish. So i feed my rays and all the big fish shrimp, mussels, herring and alaska pollock depending on what is cheap for the moment. I feed about 1kg of shrimp every other day atm since i bought 15kg of shrimp really cheap. And going out fishing for herring next weekend. You can always order nothfins pellets online cheaper then hikari. I find that northfin krill gold and jumbo fish goes down easier then hikari for my fish.

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Here in sweden you can buy hikari massivore in bulk of 1kg for around 80usd. But ive been looking for cheaper pellets since i got to much fish. I go trough a 250g bag of cichlid gold sinking in one day with all my fish. So i feed my rays and all the big fish shrimp, mussels, herring and alaska pollock depending on what is cheap for the moment. I feed about 1kg of shrimp every other day atm since i bought 15kg of shrimp really cheap. And going out fishing for herring next weekend. You can always order nothfins pellets online cheaper then hikari. I find that northfin krill gold and jumbo fish goes down easier then hikari for my fish.
Wow that's a lot of food (not to mention expense) -- you're a dedicated aquarist to be sure Tobias. Btw, what's your preferred method of defrosting frozen seafoods?

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Wow that's a lot of food (not to mention expense) -- you're a dedicated aquarist to be sure Tobias. Btw, what's your preferred method of defrosting frozen seafoods?
Im a hopeless fishhoarder. Always new species i wanna lay my hands on. And yeah the expenses are high. I feed for about 150-200usd a month with cheap pellets and frozen food. Then i feed veggies to some of my fish but thats quite cheap. Then the rent for the old bombshelter im renting i 450usd a month split on two. So somewhere around 250-300 usd a month only on fish. My wife hates my hobby
I defrost in a plastic tote with aquariumwater. It works perfectly fine. Since i keep my tanks temp at 28c i goes quite fast to defrost.

Last edited:

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Im a hopeless fishhoarder. Always new species i wanna lay my hands on. And yeah the expenses are high. I feed for about 150-200usd a month with cheap pellets and frozen food. Then i feed veggies to some of my fish but thats quite cheap. Then the rent for the old bombshelter im renting i 450usd a month split on two. So somewhere around 250-300 usd a month only on fish. My wife hates my hobby
I defrost in a plastic tote with aquariumwater. It works perfectly fine. Since i keep my tanks temp at 28c i goes quite fast to defrost.
My tanks are so hot (30/31) the food probably gets cooked before my Aros eat it lol.

But dang, I'll bet you're probably the only MFK'er who keeps fish in a bomb shelter, that's pretty cool -- at least your fish are safe in case war breaks out :)

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
My tanks are so hot (30/31) the food probably gets cooked before my Aros eat it lol.
I defrost it almost completely. Not fully defrosted then cut it to pieces and feed. My cichlas i feed frozen shrimp. Just throw them in. They bite and spits a few times then swallows it whole. Whatever they dont eat my rays eat.

SaltyPlum

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2015
SaltyPlum SaltyPlum crush the pellets into a powder and coat the meaty foods you want them to eat with the pellet powder but let it sit for a little while so it soaks I’m really well, then gradually make less powder to coat the foods with until there’s almost no powder. It’s messy but they should accept the other foods
Yeah i will definitely give that a try. Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store