Red Devil in 60 gallon

Galactik

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2019
I'm currently trying to shuffle some fish around and wanted to see what others thought about housing a male red devil in a 60 gallon tank.

He would have the tank all for himself, very minimal to no decorations, barebottom with good filtration and 50%+ weekly water changes.

I'm not very concerned about the parameters as much but mainly the size of the tank as I know I'd be pushing it dimension wise.

Thanks!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
IMO, and IME, too small. I have a solo adult male Midas in a 125 and it seems tight.

Reactions: tlindsey

Galactik

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2019
IMO, and IME, too small. I have a solo adult male Midas in a 125 and it seems tight.
6ft tank feeling tight for a single devil??? I'm aware I'm pushing boundaries with my 4' X 12" tank but that feels a bit extreme.

I appreciate your input though

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I think that part of my problem, if you can call it that, is I always put the fish before the person keeping the fish. No different than a dog, cat, pet monkey, whatever. I don't like to see fish needlessly getting torn up, suffering or worse, because the owner did something stupid. And I'm generally not afraid to say so, and speak my mind.

An RD can be kept in a 60 gallon for life, I just think that it would be a ****ty life.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I keep mine in a 75 gallon with no decor, which i would consider the absolute minimum tank size for these fish, far from ideal though. Wish i had something roomier available. I believe mine is a female which somewhat alleviates the problem, but they are intelligent, big fish that definitely benefit from extra space and suffer from lack of it. I would say a 60 is inadequate just because of the lack of width.
20190921_194228.jpg

Reactions: RD. and Nilsafeller

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
I agree with these guys... my midas is In a 210 with a similar sized mota... both about 7 inches now and a female jack... the 6x2 foot dimension will not be enough for both small males when they get bigger as the mota gets more and more aggressive by the week now... these fish need alot of space whether together and fighting for territory or alone and just swimming space... even my 6x2 for a single one is the equivalent of a human living within a regular sized house for the rest of there life not being able to leave... if u put it in that perspective a 4 x 1 is like living In a small bus for ur whole life ? if that makes sense

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
This is my Sagittae Casper, he has a 6ft 125 all to himself cause he can't be housed with anything else or he kills it.
20190921_160502.jpg
I agree with the others, a 60 is just too small for a fish of this type and size. Casper uses all of his tank and he is only at the 10in mark.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store