New flowerhorn!!

tpaquarist17

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2019
USA
Hello everyone, I’m new here! I just figured I’d make a post about a flowerhorn I am importing from Thailand and to get everyone’s opinion on him! He was sold to me as a “red pearl peacock king kamfa”. I’m not entirely sure of that description(mostly because there seem to be hundreds of strains and types of Flowerhorns nowadays) but I would say he looks somewhat like a golden base kamfa. If you’d like to add your two cents about what he looks like or give me a general grade 1-10 quality wise I’d be interested to hear what everyone has to say!
Here’s a pic: 4FD064E2-2B35-437A-B771-B451A603A91A.jpegE1DA0C6C-560C-4C6B-8C35-0900CF5C5F87.jpeg1D963E47-0A62-4D3B-BE05-1D53A11DAD09.jpeg

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Super nice! Love the gold base. It’s like a sunset! Good flowerline, great fins, nice square frame, sweet pearling, and great kok potential for a kamfa! Love to rate him in person. If you zoom in on the underside of the fish you can see something funny going on? Lol. Never seen a fish with a glowing blue outline. Just a tiny touch of photo edit maybe? Future MP! ?

9E552A99-883F-4B0E-9CEA-E655380FB297.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacob92677

tpaquarist17

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2019
USA
ECW ECW If I had to guess, he was flaring his gills because the breeder had him in the tank with another fish just to show his true colors and form. I’ll be receiving him 11/18/2019 I believe so we will see then!! Thank you for the response! I think I’m going to name him Horizon! I’m not sure yet, I have to get to know him and see how personable he is, he is only 3”. I’ve wanted a flowerhorn for a couple years now I just wanted to make sure I got one I really liked and that’s I had the correct setup for him.

Reactions: ECW

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
He’s a definite beauty with or without photo editing. Lol. Will grow up to be amazingly beautiful FH. Keep us updated!

Reactions: tpaquarist17

tpaquarist17

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2019
USA
ECW ECW I’m sure there was editing done to the photos to enhance color, I bought him off of Aquabid and there was a video attached to the listing. He looked very good in the video as well so I don’t think he will be too far off from the pics! I will keep everyone updated for sure!!

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
ECW ECW I’m sure there was editing done to the photos to enhance color, I bought him off of Aquabid and there was a video attached to the listing. He looked very good in the video as well so I don’t think he will be too far off from the pics! I will keep everyone updated for sure!!
I take it back. Unless he can edit videos? Looks like he’s using a colored light but toward the blue side of the spectrum or both blue and red? I don’t know? Lol! Something is probably enhancing the colors at least a touch. It may be lighting? Can you find out? Cause I’d like to do that with my flowerhorn too! That would be sweet!!! Seriously though that is a seriously sweet kamfa! That sunset base is awesome! The video shows a definite future MP flowerhorn! Very sweet!

Last edited:

tpaquarist17

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2019
USA
ECW ECW i know right!!! I just hope everything goes well with transshipping! He looks super healthy, no fungus, fin rot, sunken abdomen. I’ve looked on and off for the exact color pattern/flow line and body shape in a flowerhorn for a few months now and never found one or if I did he was sold already so I feel super lucky to be receiving this fish. I jumped on the purchase as soon as I got the chance, now I’m running around to get the tank set up and ready

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Hope you enjoy your beautiful new friend!

And for those who don't have easy direct access to such FH's like we have here in Thailand, at least with the ever increasing amount of nicer fish on the market (if even less long-lived nowadays), you can hopefully expect higher quality FH's to be more available for your local markets (esp. if local breeders in your countries are able to take some of these fish and successfully breed them, thereby negating the expensive int'l shipping costs/procedures).

Btw the video isn't edited, but the fish is clearly kept under nan (pinkish-red) lighting, which ~99% of tanks here use, hence the enhanced coloration of both fish. When it arrives at your house, if you have regular white lighting don't be surprised to see it not so colorful, esp. when combined with stress of long travel. But after it settles in, and regardless of what lighting you use, it will still be a beautiful specimen if you take good care of it (good food and lots of water changes).

"Chok dee" and safe journey lil' guy!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store