Good Cichlids for a 45 gallon tank.

Max L

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2018
I have a 45 gallon tank (36 1/4 x 12 5/8 x 23 3/4) that’s been sitting for a few months and I’m now looking to get fish. I’ve decided that to cycle the tank I’m going to use a larger tetra species (either black phantom tetras or something similar) and then add some cichlids after I’ve finished cycling. The real question now is what cichlids to get. I got this idea from a video aquarium co-op did on 40 gallon stocking ideas where he suggested doing tetras and Bolivian Rams, and I like the idea but I’m still seeing if there are better options. It’s also worth noting that the tank is on the tall side and I’d like to get fish that would swim in the mid to top area of the tank. Does anyone have any ideas of cichlids that can fit in a 45-gallon tank that would swim in the mid to top area of the tank, or have any other good cichlid ideas for this tank size?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a 45 gallon tank (36 1/4 x 12 5/8 x 23 3/4) that’s been sitting for a few months and I’m now looking to get fish. I’ve decided that to cycle the tank I’m going to use a larger tetra species (either black phantom tetras or something similar) and then add some cichlids after I’ve finished cycling. The real question now is what cichlids to get. I got this idea from a video aquarium co-op did on 40 gallon stocking ideas where he suggested doing tetras and Bolivian Rams, and I like the idea but I’m still seeing if there are better options. It’s also worth noting that the tank is on the tall side and I’d like to get fish that would swim in the mid to top area of the tank. Does anyone have any ideas of cichlids that can fit in a 45-gallon tank that would swim in the mid to top area of the tank, or have any other good cichlid ideas for this tank size?

I personally would either do the Bolivian Rams or Apistogramma do the the dimensions of the aquarium.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with Tom, most new world cichlids capable of living in that size tank are bottom huggers, and tetras, hatchet fish, or the like will be what you need to fill the upper region.
If your water is mineral rich, higher pH, and were to venture to the old world cichlids, you could use Cyprichromis or Paracyprichromis as mid and upper region cichlids, and shell dwellers for the lower regions.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Apistogramma, Crenicara, Cleithacara, Microgrophagus, Laetacara, Ivanocara, nanocara, Biotecus, Krobia, Dicrossus, Taenicara, and most dwarf Crenicichla will all work in those dims.

Max L

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2018
Agree with Tom, most new world cichlids capable of living in that size tank are bottom huggers, and tetras, hatchet fish, or the like will be what you need to fill the upper region.
If your water is mineral rich, higher pH, and were to venture to the old world cichlids, you could use Cyprichromis or Paracyprichromis as mid and upper region cichlids, and shell dwellers for the lower regions.
I like the Lake Tanganyika tank idea a lot, how many Cyprichromis could I have in the tank?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Since Cyprichromis are fairly small, I would imagine 6 or 8 ( although at some point years down the road if healthy they may outgrow that tank reaching 5 + " ), and with some shell dwellers. It will really depend on how you keep water quality with frequency of water changes, these species need great water, low in nitrate to show their best.
I kept Cyps for while many years ago (in a bit larger 6 ft tank) with Enantiopus on mostly an open sand substrate, with some swaths of Vallisneria in the corners, and it was a very interesting and beautiful combination because each stayed in different parts of the water column.
I could see recreating the same tank again, if these ever become available in this part of the world.

Reactions: Max L and tlindsey

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Angelfish, acaras, dwarf crenicichla, and smaller geophagus could work from my experiences.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I’d advise against cyprichromis in that aquarium given it’s small size. If you want tanganyikan, she’ll dwellers are your best bet with some lampeye Lillie’s to fill the upper portions of the tank. Neopamprologus Caudopunctatus is another option which you can keep in small groups.

Reactions: tlindsey

Max L

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2018
I’d advise against cyprichromis in that aquarium given it’s small size. If you want tanganyikan, she’ll dwellers are your best bet with some lampeye Lillie’s to fill the upper portions of the tank. Neopamprologus Caudopunctatus is another option which you can keep in small groups.
Cyprichromis leptosoma only get to be around 4 1/2-5 inches, how big of a concern is size if you only do those

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Some of the smaller hemichromis, as well as other small west african cichlids like pelvicachromis and pelmatochromis would work in that tank. You could have a nice little west african biotope tank with synos and congo tetras maybe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store