Blinking Guppy Tails

lilacamy931

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2009
Burnemouth
So I have had my 200 litre set up with my schoutedeni puffers, cardinals and guppys/endlers for a while now.

Down to two cardinals as the rest did not do well on introduction and suspect poor quality.

My current concern is shredded guppy tails - you might say "puffer - well there is your problem". However I can assure you after many hours of watching it is the blinking male endlers and guppies that are loving each other too much.

I've read this can happen with all male guppies and endlers as only livebearers in the tank and having more numbers can lessen this problem. Unfortunately for me increasing numbers only result in more shredded tails. Feeling pretty much done with these guys - any other suggestions?

Keeping water pristine to aid growth back but otherwise will wait for them to naturally die off one by one and not replace them.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Odd,perhaps adding some energetic small fish such as danios can break up this problem,you could also add more visual barriers

Reactions: Davidiator

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Odd,perhaps adding some energetic small fish such as danios can break up this problem,you could also add more visual barriers
Honestly I would have to disagree with the danio's part. Mainly because danio's are notorious for fin nipping. But I do agree that he needs to add some sort of dither fish to the tank. As for dithers I would recommend platys. They tend to get along well with guppies however they do have the off chance of cross breeding with them but will only produce infertile young.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Had the same thing with a male endler, was in a 120g community with various other live bearing fish, 2-5 died mysteriously. Took everything out under 3” left the solo male endler, it punks most of the fish in the tank at 1”... he was creating a non community vibe...

Put him in a 5g solo...

Recently added 4 females for him, seems ok....

Maybe just got a few agro guppies... try segregating maybe?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Had the same thing with a male endler, was in a 120g community with various other live bearing fish, 2-5 died mysteriously. Took everything out under 3” left the solo male endler, it punks most of the fish in the tank at 1”... he was creating a non community vibe...

Put him in a 5g solo...

Recently added 4 females for him, seems ok....

Maybe just got a few agro guppies... try segregating maybe?
I know I had an endler once and he was extremely aggressive with the male guppies in the tank. I only used him long enough to pass his Gene's onto the next gen and then I fed him to my flowerhorns. And yeah sometimes u'll just have that one fish that refuses to live peacefully. Seems like no matter how small the fish is they can always have drastically different personalities.

Reactions: dr exum

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Got puffer pics?

I like the fed it to my flower horn, thought of moving mine in with RTC

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Got puffer pics?

I like the fed it to my flower horn, thought of moving mine in with RTC
Sadly don't have any pics of my puffer. He passed away about a week ago. He's was a lil green spotted puffer and refused to eat anything but the snails and we'll eventually he started to run out of em. Also if ya don't mind me asking, what is a RTC? Not to familiar with abbreviations yet lol

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Sadly don't have any pics of my puffer. He passed away about a week ago. He's was a lil green spotted puffer and refused to eat anything but the snails and we'll eventually he started to run out of em. Also if ya don't mind me asking, what is a RTC? Not to familiar with abbreviations yet lol
Red Tail Catfish

Putting the biggest and smallest fish I have was a thought, not productive but was frustrated with endler after it most likely harassed to death/ and or killed various fish.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Red Tail Catfish

Putting the biggest and smallest fish I have was a thought, not productive but was frustrated with endler after it most likely harassed to death/ and or killed various fish.
Yeah sometimes there is just nothing you can do about a fishes behavior. Btw what kind of red tail ya got? Amazon or asain? I had an asain personally and it was one of the meanest fish I ever had.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Yeah sometimes there is just nothing you can do about a fishes behavior. Btw what kind of red tail ya got? Amazon or asain? I had an asain personally and it was one of the meanest fish I ever had.
Amazon,

He’s quite friendly and personable,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store