I am not sure if they are a pair or not they are only 4 inches

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Have you considered a non Cichlid specie like livebearer such as Swordtail.
As you have probably know, they are the only cichlid endemic to their habitat. but they do share it with some very beautiful Sunfish (Such as Lepomis species -red ear and bluegill), minnows, mollies, catfish, bullheads, and killifish. So choices are quite varied if you wanted a south Texas biotope.

Reactions: tlindsey

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
In a 7 Foot tank you may be OK to try some similarly tough CA cichlids. I have kept cichlids from the vieja family and amphilophus family with carpintis, as well as tetracanthus, istlanum, convicts, probably more than I can remember at some point. In 6 foot tanks.
Central american communities are really a balancing act. Have another tank on standby in case you need to shuffle fish around because you never know, just because I had success with something, doesn't mean it would work for someone else. Go for tough fish that get to at least 6" or larger, and try introducing a few at a time, so new fish don't get singled out. You will probably have some trial and error to find a balance that works. And you may find when the carpintis get large, they take up more of the 7' tank than you'd expect; for this reason I avoid breeding pairs when trying to do community tanks.

Reactions: celebrist
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store