Rainbow cichlid - pretty bad injury

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Progress update on this guy (who I’m calling a guy for simplicity, I have no idea)... he continues to be more active and I’ve also witnessed him sucking pellets he missed out of the gravel with success, honestly I didn’t think he had the apparatus for that. So will continue monitor. Here’s the before picture and this morning side by side. Seems like something is happening? ??‍♂

4BA459F1-921B-44E3-8C51-AE94BF785650.jpeg

Reactions: Deadeye

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Improving well so far.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Definitely starting to clean up. Looks better already.

Reactions: biguebs

Cecropia

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2008
US
Looks like it's healing nicely, before I read the thread and was in the euth camp but now I'm not so sure.

Looks like of of those "one-shot pop" bites large cichlids have, from your oscar. Everytime I've witnessed one it's to the front half of the body of the victim and results in death, either immediately or over a few days. That's one tough rainbow!

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Great to see 'he' is recovering nicely. Good job on your husbandry!

Nice dollars as well. Seems that you have a nice pair (male, female) of what looks like Metynnis altidorsalis (can't be sure as they are not fully colored in the pics) and a trio of tigers (M. fasciatus), where at least one is a certain young male.
Nice!

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Looks like it's healing nicely, before I read the thread and was in the euth camp but now I'm not so sure.

Looks like of of those "one-shot pop" bites large cichlids have, from your oscar. Everytime I've witnessed one it's to the front half of the body of the victim and results in death, either immediately or over a few days. That's one tough rainbow!
I agree- I’m pretty impressed with the rainbow bouncing back to this point. Hopefully he makes it all the way back.. I was definitely on the fence but now I think he is trending more towards making it than not. Hopefully keeps going that way

Great to see 'he' is recovering nicely. Good job on your husbandry!

Nice dollars as well. Seems that you have a nice pair (male, female) of what looks like Metynnis altidorsalis (can't be sure as they are not fully colored in the pics) and a trio of tigers (M. fasciatus), where at least one is a certain young male.
Nice!
Thanks - I’m very happy with the dollars. Also my first time keeping these, a really interesting shoal.

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Quick update on this guy- I pulled the divider down a couple days ago. He seemed more stressed by it than not, he was acting like a fish with both sides of his face anyway lol. Have been watching to see if any of the others show interest in his wound, but the tank seems to have settled into a nice balance. He is eating normally, even chasing the SDs and FM out of his hide. Continuing to trend towards a successful rehabilitation, we’ll see! Quick video of him this morning during the feeding:

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Great to see he is doing much better! It may just be me, but it looks like it has healed significantly over the past few days!
Just keep an eye on him (no pun intended)!

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
Quick update on this guy- I pulled the divider down a couple days ago. He seemed more stressed by it than not, he was acting like a fish with both sides of his face anyway lol. Have been watching to see if any of the others show interest in his wound, but the tank seems to have settled into a nice balance. He is eating normally, even chasing the SDs and FM out of his hide. Continuing to trend towards a successful rehabilitation, we’ll see! Quick video of him this morning during the feeding:

now you know not to take the "euthanasia first" posts too seriously ..lol.. imo.. start thinking about that when you can't figure out what else to do.. and certainly *never* on a fish that is acting like "normal"...glad to see the fish is doing well?

Reactions: biguebs
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store