Rescuing fish is done out of love, that is everything opposite of the love of money...

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
If our fish rescuing experience of 13 years first in upstate New York and then SW Florida is of guidance, rescuing fish is a badly money-losing operation. The revenue comes usually only from the adoption fee and covers about 1/10-1/4 of the expenses.

One of the best case scenarios: someone actually brings over and drops off say a red tail catfish RTC at 1'-1.5' (30-45 cm), so no expense for us in acquiring, and in half a year it is adopted. It will have grown to 2' or over (60+cm) and cost us around $200 to house, this is an out of pocket expense, namely, electricity (85%) and feed (15%), and not counting my labor and that I have to earn a living, plus the property taxes and upkeep & repair of the facility, repair & replacement of pumps, fish tanks, and other equipment and its service, etc. The standard adoption fee for such an RTC is $100 (and it's hard to find qualified takers even at $100!) versus the $200 of out of pocket housing expenses, and versus crudely speaking $400 of overall housing expenses. Our loss is $300.

One of the worst cases: in March 2016 I drove to Dayton, Ohio, 60 hours round trip, to rescue 6 paroon shark catfish at 1.5' (45 cm). The trip cost around $1500 out of pocket, so the acquiring expense is ~$250 per catfish, or ~$500 if one counts total expenses (including my supposed hourly pay rate at say very modest $15 an hour). After 4 years, the now 3' (90 cm) paroon is adopted for $400 versus ~$1600 of the out of pocket housing expenses and crudely $3200 of the overall housing expenses. Our loss over 4 years is $500+$3200-$400=$3300.

Take-home message: in our specific circumstances (means at the current volume of rescuing), rescuing one large fish, such as a large-bodied 2'-3' catfish or pacu, costs us $800 a year in total expenses. Each year on average we rescue about 50 such fishes and it costs us $40,000 a year.

In reality many fish we rescue are smaller but there are more of them, hence the total more or less checks out the same. These numbers are there just to shape the right thinking of what to expect if you want to enter this "trade".

Also note the above only concerns the recurring expenses and doesn't take into account the initial capital investment, such as the building, the fish tanks, the filters, the pumps, etc. and its depreciation over time.

BTW, if one wanted to rescue just one RTC, their yearly total expense could be smaller than our $800 only by 1.5x-2x because the tank size should be comparable and, hence, the water pumping could be only marginally smaller (in a different scenario, when one is provided a living by someone else, they'd only be concerned with the out of pocket, recurring expenses, which are further 2x smaller vs the total). If one wanted to rescue far more fish than 50 a year, I don't see a reason for the cost to change much. In such a way, the operational volume of far larger ventures like the Ohio Fish Rescue is 10x larger and I suppose it must cost them $400,000 a year! And they are ordinary folks, like you and me, working day jobs that pay the likes of $40,000 a year, 1/10th of the rescuing budget.

Thus, the rescue fish adoption fee / "sale fee" is a symbol, a small token of appreciation that an adopter could give to a rescuer, and yet, it is not uncommon to encounter adopters / buyers bargaining with rescuers for a better price. Oh well. It's capitalism after all, offer and demand, right? :) It doesn't hurt my feelings. I take it as it a norm now. :)

It's funny when friends ask, "What happened to such or such fish?" And I say I have adopted it out, for instance, a 3' paroon for $400, or a 3.5' jau catfish we have kept for 12 years since 2008 for $1500. They go, "Wow, and you paid nothing for it, right? It's a great business you got going! I should consider it!" I take on a clownish vulnerable look, sadly nod, and say, yup, yup, you've got figured me out! hahahahha.....

Things should improve vastly when we open to public at large (finishing touches now) and are able to charge admission and make money from exhibiting and educating patrons about these animals that captured our hearts. But until now, for the last 13 years, it has been largely as I tried to describe above.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter what you said could not be more true...

On the surface it may look like easy money to some who think you are just taking in free fish to then turn around and sell for profit but they don’t see the blood, sweat and tears that go into keeping these fish alive and healthy till the right buyer comes along...

You definitely show the spirit of being a true MFKer with a heart of gold for taking in these monsters that would otherwise be more or less guaranteed a death sentence in a less than ideal home...

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I have nothing other than admiration for all you do. From the rescuing, the recuperating/reinvigorating, the keeping, the finding homes, the amazing monster tanks, the awesome fish and the operation you run, the doing it probably on a shoestring, all of it.
And then, something I truly admire is the many fish you save from untimely death and from being released into US waters where they don't belong and where they will be part of major problem for natural biodiversity, freshwater community composition and so on, and on, and on. My hat is off to you!
I too wish to have a chance sometime to visit your operation and see it with my very own eyes.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I wholeheartedly agree with everyone. You're an inspiration. And you come across in your videos as such a humble guy. I really hope things take off for you and your wife once visitors are allowed to visit your facility again. :clap

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
If it’s worth anything I think it’s pathetic people try to dump their fish on you for free, let alone make you come get them. I would think or hope anyone unable to care for a monster fish would not only drop it off to you but pay you something for the inconvenience. Even when I sell a fish I don’t really care about the price, I’ll gladly let it go for less if I know it’s going to a better tank and home.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
When I started reading this I thought you were going to pull the pin and close down your operation. Thankfully thats not the case. Still I didnt realise how costly this whole thing was for you, a nice dose of reality for anyone thinking about doing the same thing I guess.
I really hope you can start getting visitors in and start making some money from it soon, as others are said you are doing something good here.
Possibly you may need to start putting your foot down and saying no to some people if they cant deliver the fish themselves or pay the fee. You are operating a weird hybrid of business and charity but I dont think you should let people take advantage of your good nature.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store