Delhezi Bichir Growout Thread

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Ok. Thanks, Rocksor. I looked for red wigglers at PetSmart today. They were sold out. I think I will just get a giant thing of tilapia, and red wigglers and feed a few times a week. The largest one is approaching 3.5 inches. Smallest one is 2.5. They are large enough as to not fit EVEN CLOSE in his mouth. Plus, they bully him. They dive bomb him. He would never eat one, because they are so fast, and he is not the brightest, you know, fitting into a 3 inch moon rock, and trying to swim up the water fall of the filter :ROFL:

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Ok. Thanks, Rocksor. I looked for red wigglers at PetSmart today. They were sold out. I think I will just get a giant thing of tilapia, and red wigglers and feed a few times a week. The largest one is approaching 3.5 inches. Smallest one is 2.5. They are large enough as to not fit EVEN CLOSE in his mouth. Plus, they bully him. They dive bomb him. He would never eat one, because they are so fast, and he is not the brightest, you know, fitting into a 3 inch moon rock, and trying to swim up the water fall of the filter :ROFL:
You can get red wigglers at walmart in the sport or fishing area, its much cheap than petsmart, i think its $2-$3 for 50pcs.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Ok. Upping the school of congo tetras to 10 today or tomorrow. Found him crammed in the moon rock today. He loves that thing. He tries to fit through it, but can't.

He did some decorating as well. He dug himself a hole to sit under the barrels so the tetras don't dive-bomb the crap out of him. He got the anubias out of the soil, and tetras started to pick it. I re-planted it. He also dug a hole to sit at. He is a weird fish, Have you heard of bichirs decorating? He also dug some more under the sponge filter. Now he won't break his fins when he goes under ?.

Reactions: Deadeye

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Okay. A lot has happened. Got some new Congo’s. 6 of them. Our friends offered us there paired Green Cory Catfish (getting rid of them Because they are being aggressive towards other Cory). They are 3.5 inches. I was wondering if they would be fine in the 55 until I can put them in the patio pond in mid summer.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I personally wouldn’t chance it. Cats are a lot slower than tetras, and I wouldn’t want those barbs anywhere near a bichir.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Welp, it turns out the situation is more dire. Picking them up tomorrow, or never. Barbs are staying outside. The catfish are 3.5 inches, and FAT. I’m talking CHUNKY ARSE BELLY. There is no way sparky could fit his mouth around that. Just fed all the tetras. It is an actual feeding frenzy. Everyone is battling for food!

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Get them then. I’ve always been a risk taker anyway lol.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Got them. They are very fat, but mouths are to small to swallow Cichlid gold pellets, and didn’t ask what they were fed on. The smallest tetra went Missing. Who is the culprit here...the peaceful Cory catfish, there own group, or the murderous water lizard ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store