unknown turtle

joshc21

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2022
i found this guy on the sidewalk and have never seen a turtle like this…. has anybody ever seen a turtle like this before? if you have what is the name??

B26604B8-D30E-4851-8C43-D0379A3A759A.jpeg

E5412787-16AC-4A9D-A2B6-59FADEACF41B.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I was going to suggest that it would help if we had a clue as to what part of the world the sidewalk was in...but just the fact that it was a sidewalk sort of implies that this is someone's escaped pet, so it might or might not be native to your area. It looks like a perfectly clean specimen, with none of the marks and blemishes often seen on mature wild turtles. Is it calm when handled? Beautiful healthy-looking turtle.

If you are somewhere around the Great Lakes area, Blanding's Turtle is a possibility. Can't tell if the shell is as high-domed as Blanding's from those pics, or if it has the characteristic yellow throat and lower jaw. Otherwise...European Pond Turtle? Definitely not a Diamondback.

Maybe Google up some pics and info on those and it might lead you in the right direction to search further.

Edit: the more I look at it the less I think it is Blanding's. Maybe Western Pond Turtle? Are you on the Pacific coast?

Last edited:

joshc21

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2022
I was going to suggest that it would help if we had a clue as to what part of the world the sidewalk was in...but just the fact that it was a sidewalk sort of implies that this is someone's escaped pet, so it might or might not be native to your area. It looks like a perfectly clean specimen, with none of the marks and blemishes often seen on mature wild turtles. Is it calm when handled? Beautiful healthy-looking turtle.

If you are somewhere around the Great Lakes area, Blanding's Turtle is a possibility. Can't tell if the shell is as high-domed as Blanding's from those pics, or if it has the characteristic yellow throat and lower jaw. Otherwise...European Pond Turtle?

Maybe Google up some pics and info on those and it might lead you in the right direction to search further.
turtle is definitely somebody’s pet, it is very calm when handled

i’m gonna look up european pond turtle and see what i find

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
turtle is definitely somebody’s pet, it is very calm when handled

i’m gonna look up european pond turtle and see what i find
Yeah, just bear in mind that a pet could be anything, from anywhere. In many areas, any native turtle is protected and illegal to keep, so watch out for that as well.

joshc21

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2022
Yeah, just bear in mind that a pet could be anything, from anywhere. In many areas, any native turtle is protected and illegal to keep, so watch out for that as well.
yeah i will

i also don’t think it’s a european pond turtle, the feet are not mottled/speckled like the ones i’m seeing on the internet. i’ll keep trying to figure it out though.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I hope you let us know what you find; I'm curious now. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store