¿Datnoid question?

Dionysus

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Water quality and proper diet would be a good start when they are young in order to even think about maximum size. Maintenance is key.
+1, but given great diet and water quality, how many gallons u think 45 12"+ dats would require?

Sent from my LG-VM696 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Considering how slow they grow, you're probably looking at a minimum of 5 years for full size. You could start with a 125 or 180 while they are small and then upgrade as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
125-180 no chance yes they grow slow but not that slow

They grow fast up to 6-8 inch then slow down a bit

It also depends on what they eat I have a IT that will only eat prawn I got it at 12 inch 2 years ago its now only 14
I got another IT the same size and time the eats all pellets this one is near 16 inch in the same time

Most people don't feed enough in my eyes stunting growth and making people think they grow slow

BeastFish1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2012
Florida
125-180 no chance yes they grow slow but not that slow

They grow fast up to 6-8 inch then slow down a bit

It also depends on what they eat I have a IT that will only eat prawn I got it at 12 inch 2 years ago its now only 14
I got another IT the same size and time the eats all pellets this one is near 16 inch in the same time

Most people don't feed enough in my eyes stunting growth and making people think they grow slow

So what size tank do you recommend

Dionysus

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Agree with T1TARMANN, I've found getting to 16" not easy, depends how much and what u feeding them. Once I got all mine on massivore, feeding daily, my 10" grew to 13" in one yr, my 7" grew 3" as well in same time. And yes, slower growers than some fish, but if fed properly can grow to 5-6 in from baby dats in less than couple yrs. 45 6" dats, a 1000 gal still not big enough. To house n grow 45 IT dats to max size, given proper diet and care, I'm still thinking 5k gallon minimum

Sent from my LG-VM696 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Interesting thought, but growing this many dats together to 16inch or full potential is just a fantasy in my eyes. Growing 5 dats together seems impossible enough, let alone 45. Buy a river or a lake otherwise you will eventually have your 16inch (or full grown) dat, a few somewhere in comparison and a bunch of underfed, beatup, stunted dats

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
It will probably cost $200 per month to feed 45

You will probably lose about 10 as you won't know which ones are feeding and which are missing out on food

You would need to be doing 100% water changes daily when they are small and in a small tank

From what I have seen the size info given for IT is wrong and I think they grow bigger and faster than ST if fed right
I have no proof of this yest as my ST rips any tiger to bits once they get to 16inch but a mate of mine has a massive IT which I think is close to the size of my ST if not bigger and it 3 years younger

Why you would even want 45 is beyond me as they do better on there own or with massive size differences as they fight a lot when the sizes are close which was the main reason I sold all my ST

Build the biggest tank you can then come back and ask how many you can keep in it

But to tell the truth most tanks over 7x3 never happen

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store