“Teacup” Stingray ID

etkelly22

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2018
This ray looks even thinner than in your first pictures. You might want to take some small earth worms to the store and see it the ray will eat them. Cut the worms into really small pieces, not whole. I doubt the store is feeding it.
Does the store know if the ray is wild caught or captive bred? Based on size, condition (thin), and eye structure I'm guessing wild caught. Wild guess on species, perhaps humerosa species?
They originally told me he was eating and when I went back a day or two later and asked them to feed him for me he wouldn’t take the krill. My LFS doesn’t get rays too often and when they do they are resiculously priced. Do you think I should get this guy if I see him eat, or wait for a hystrix or scobina or a ray i can properly ID which will probly be a little while? I feel like if I don’t get this guy, I may miss out on a decent price. Is his size small enough to make you think I should pass? Thanks for the reply!

cresnyk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2011
CLAYTON, NC
They originally told me he was eating and when I went back a day or two later and asked them to feed him for me he wouldn’t take the krill. My LFS doesn’t get rays too often and when they do they are resiculously priced. Do you think I should get this guy if I see him eat, or wait for a hystrix or scobina or a ray i can properly ID which will probly be a little while? I feel like if I don’t get this guy, I may miss out on a decent price. Is his size small enough to make you think I should pass? Thanks for the reply!
Hystrix and scobina will be expensive. They are rare these days.

The ray pictured looks to be some kind of hybrid. It looks very skinny. The two day guarantee might not be worth much because rays can last a long time without eating.

I would pass if I were in your position.

etkelly22

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2018

The ray pictured looks to be some kind of hybrid. It looks very skinny. The two day guarantee might not be worth much because rays can last a long time without eating.

That’s what I’m thinking, I’ve seen one listed at $600 but that’s the only one i’ve ever seen for sale. Thank you for the reply! If I were to order online what would be my best bet?

etkelly22

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2018

Do you think this species is a smaller species based off the eye test? If it is going to get just as big as a motoro should I just pick up a motoro that I know is healthy and eating for a little more $?

cresnyk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2011
CLAYTON, NC
That’s what I’m thinking, I’ve seen one listed at $600 but that’s the only one i’ve ever seen for sale. Thank you for the reply! If I were to order online what would be my best bet?
I know Chicago Stingrays had a male hystrix listed for around that price not long ago. No matter what species you go with, you should be looking for a male.

A couple of guys on here breed hystrix. They have small and infrequent litters so you have to keep your eyes peeled.

Another option is a mini marble, plenty of guys on here working with them.

I have a P14 hybrid male breeder that has maxed out at about 12" disc. I wouldn't love to have him in a 180, but it would work granted I had the right filtration on it. I'm guessing you'll end up upgrading at some point anyway...

etkelly22

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2018
This ray looks even thinner than in your first pictures. You might want to take some small earth worms to the store and see it the ray will eat them. Cut the worms into really small pieces, not whole. I doubt the store is feeding it.
Does the store know if the ray is wild caught or captive bred? Based on size, condition (thin), and eye structure I'm guessing wild caught. Wild guess on species, perhaps humerosa species?
Do you think this species is going to stay smaller or reach around the same size as a motoro? I can pick up a healthy looking motoro that i’ve seen eat for a little more.

etkelly22

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2018
I know Chicago Stingrays had a male hystrix listed for around that price not long ago. No matter what species you go with, you should be looking for a male.

A couple of guys on here breed hystrix. They have small and infrequent litters so you have to keep your eyes peeled.

Another option is a mini marble, plenty of guys on here working with them.

I have a P14 hybrid male breeder that has maxed out at about 12" disc. I wouldn't love to have him in a 180, but it would work granted I had the right filtration on it. I'm guessing you'll end up upgrading at some point anyway...
Anyway you could get me in touch with any of those people or point me in the right direction? Or any pups from yours? I know I will eventually be upgrading but would like to wait as long as possible.

cresnyk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2011
CLAYTON, NC
Anyway you could get me in touch with any of those people or point me in the right direction? Or any pups from yours? I know I will eventually be upgrading but would like to wait as long as possible.
Reach out to Chicago Stingrays. They also had some scobina listed not too long ago. They are a vendor here, but respond really fast on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoStingrays/

I've got two hybrid male pups from my small male, but I can't guarantee that they'll stay small.

etkelly22

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2018
Reach out to Chicago Stingrays. They also had some scobina listed not too long ago. They are a vendor here, but respond really fast on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoStingrays/

I've got two hybrid male pups from my small male, but I can't guarantee that they'll stay small.
Would you trust it to be a true hystrix from them? And is $600 about average for hystrix? I think I may go against the impulse and wait it out and save for the hystrix.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store