1PunchKO

Jack Dempsey
Feb 4, 2010
Diamond Bar, CA
Okay so I just posted on another thread the possibility of using these nice 5/8" thick tempered glass panels a friend has offered me for free. Each pane is 6' x 4' and I'm aware I'd normally use thicker glass however if stress beams are used in the center between each panel and not one long running sheet not to mention the sides, rear and typically the biggest concern the bottom would all be wood, concrete with rebar or possibly steel.

The question being since I know most all you guys here at MFK have DIY'd your own monster tanks out you would be the experts here to let me know if you think it wouldn't work or if it would, where can I find a good tutorial (ie any of you on youtube) or drawings and plans (possibly here on MFK) that would help me in the construction of this holding tank? How to create proper support, make it water proof and most concerning to me is how to make the glass panels attach to the wall as I've seen so many of you do without any future leaking with age especially if outdoors being exposed to the sun?

I plan on having a running brabbling brook through my yard which would help as additional natural biological filtration returning to the above ground system in a loop but there will be no holes planned in the above ground holding tank I plan on building along side my pool side.

Below is a really fast conceptual design based on what I'm thinking and would love to know what pointers you guys have, if the glass would be thick enough building it in this fashion, whether I could make this tank from wood or would I need to make it of concrete and rebar, or other????????

The real fun would be later if this works figuring out if I want the pretty koi my wife wants or should I go with some monsters like several peacock bass (if they'll survive in my zone 9 southern california region)???? but that's conversation for later I suppose. Thanks in advance guys!Aboveground Koi Pond Concept.png

Reactions: dr exum

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
I don't think MFK forum has many Monster Fish Keepers left nowadays. Many posts are about plants and nano tanks and first cycle issues. It's a busy forum but not for monster fish or big tanks anymore. To be fair, it's getting easier and easier to build big tanks now as technology and product availability has improved

I suggest you consult a structural engineer for your issue. Firstly you aren't sure how or what to build with and secondly you are trying to go below recommended limits. Having said that, it's highly probable a structural engineer may not want to assist you if your glass doesn't have a manufacture stamp as no one will know what build specification or age your glass us.

You probably have two avenues to consider. a) Build the exact tank you want and dream of. If that glass isn't suitable then don't use it. Or b) build a tank around the glass you have aquuired. Let the glass dictate what size tank you can have.
Only you will be able to answer which is the best option for you.

If you want to know if your glass could handle 4 foot water depth then build a box / frame with a sill footer for glass. Line it with a plastic or canvas sheet. Put glass in place and fill. You don't need to waterproof the box or see through the glass. You are just testing cheaply if it will withstand the water pressure. If it doesnt fail then it still could later though.

M1A1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2013
MN
Uhh yeah 5/8" is way undersized for 4' of water, even if it is tempered. If you had those two pieces of glass laminated together then 4' would be fine but obviously then you only have the one window.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store