10 gallon Amphibians & Lizards

FishGuy97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2021
I have a 20inx10inx12in 10 gallons and I know there are resources out there but are there any uncommon pets kept in a ten-gallon. I think it would be cool to scape the tank with plants, rock, wood, etc.

Reactions: Deadeye

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Deadeye Deadeye

There are always clawed frogs. Perhaps look at the smaller desert skinks or chameleons.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
I enjoyed my Praying Mantis. You can get some that are super beautiful. They are super short-term though, only living 6 months or so. It's fun to feed, and definitely an oddball.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
What state are you in? There are quite a few where clawed frogs are illegal. Definitely a fun pet to keep though. I would only keep a male in that size though, females get quite large. Dwarf frogs are another option, though much smaller.
I’d pass on chameleons, very difficult to keep them.
I’ve heard Pac-Man frogs can go in that size.
Scorpion or tarantula would be fun (or a wennerae mantis shrimp if you want to fill it with saltwater).
One or two dart frogs would look nice (and you could trick people into thinking they are toxic, but captive ones are not).
Small Skinks could work but otherwise not many lizards that come to mind. Sources always say anoles can go in that size, but IME there is a huge difference in behavior between a small and large cage.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Scorpions are boring pets, imo. I had one a while back. Fun to watch eat, but they don’t eat often, and hide most of the time.

Frogs are easy. Pac-Man frogs can bench 3 times there weight with their tongue (I know random useless facts about animals).

FishGuy97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2021
ok, so I set up he tank today and i did water and land in a ten gallon. Any suggestions for that?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
How does the scape look?
In a pauladarium setup I’m thinking some small frog (maybe leopard but bigger is ideal) or red claw crabs (would require brackish) - I’m sure there are freshwater crabs though.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Depending on what setup you've created, could be a good home for some Newts. They are enjoyable pets, Ive had a few over the years that would eat worms from my hand. Paddletail get bigger and need mostly water, fire belly like a good mix of both.

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
Anything that doesn’t need to bask. A 10g isn’t really big enough to get a proper heat gradient. Maybe tip it on its side and get some of the dwarf geckos? I’m not very knowledgeable about the different geckos. A male hog nose snake could work if your open to snakes. I would pass on skinks. Some skinks are small enough but almost all enjoy basking. Inverts or amphibians would be a good choice. I kept a praying mantis for a bit and it was great. Giant centipede or tarantulas would work. Pac-Man frogs would also work. You could do a dart frog display also. I hope this helps

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store