11,000 Gallon Pond stocking

Ozip

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2017
Wanted to update the title of my earlier post could not figure it out so I made a new ones. Hope that okay....

Hey guys, drawing up plans for a circle pond 22 foot in diameter and 52 inch deep. Comes out to around 11,000 gallons. I am looking at some interesting fish and saw sturgeon were a thing in ponds. I have been looking online and saw some people were saying you can't keep Sturgeon if the water is going to get above 80 Fahrenheit. One I don't know that much about sturgeon. I do know that there are different types. Also, kind of looked around looks like it differently like bass where you want to buy small. I would also like to see if you got other suggests. Thanks and btw I am pretty opened minded at this point.

AnthonyFish20 AnthonyFish20 said-
Redtail catfish
Shovelnose catfish
paroon shark
arowana
A bunch of cichlids
koi
you can try sturgeon but it wouldnt thrive in the heat

I replied-

So a million questions on that lol. I know there are peacock bass (cichlids) and gars. What would be a good combo of these fish? Do they need to be kept in groups btw? Like two red tails, paroon, a shovelnose, 5 peacocks, Florida gar, and some good size koi? I would think some of these fish may not get along with each other. I know size is a huge factor. So what you guys think would be the best combo?

Thanks looking forward to hearing what some of you have to say.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
11,000 Gallons?
If I had a tank that big, I would make it my job to take in fish that people have irresponsibly put in too small tanks. You see pretty often someone who needs to get rid of an arowana, Oscar, red tail, etc. I would just start taking them in and fill the tank up over the years personally. Should be able to get a ton of fish in there.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Ozip

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2017
11,000 Gallons?
If I had a tank that big, I would make it my job to take in fish that people have irresponsibly put in too small tanks. You see pretty often someone who needs to get rid of an arowana, Oscar, red tail, etc. I would just start taking them in and fill the tank up over the years personally. Should be able to get a ton of fish in there.
Only problem would be heat and hurricanes. One hurricane comes my way and I would need a ton of mini pools to put them in my house not to mention battery powered air pumps.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Only problem would be heat and hurricanes. One hurricane comes my way and I would need a ton of mini pools to put them in my house not to mention battery powered air pumps.
So are you asking for stocking suggestions, or If the pond is a good idea? Because the heat and hurricanes problem would be there regardless of what you stock it with, no?

Ozip

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2017
Stocking suggestions. More fish means more preparedness stuff I would need. Not sure what my limit would be on how many fish max i would keep. However, you never know maybe if I talk to local zoo and such they maybe able to help if something like that was happening I have heard stories like that being worked out before.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
You could try a couple of species of sturgeon, like sterlet or siberian, but indeed cooler water would be much better for them.

IDK where you are. In FL?

If you plan to keep restricted or prohibited species http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/nonnatives/regulations/prohibited/ , you'll need a permit. If you plan to keep any exotics in an outside enclosure, even not on the restricted or prohibited list, I'd check with the FWC regulations too on what's needed and what's not.

As for suggestions, what's your experience? What have you kept before and how long?

Reactions: Ozip

Ozip

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2017
I live near Tampa. I have been keeping fish for about 3 years now. Current keep Oscars, pike, needle nose gar, lima shovelnose, a community tank (Cory's, tetra, angles, and plecos), and a jack Dempsey. I have a 200g, 120g, and a 70g housing those. Also, have quite a few holding tanks a 50g, couple 30g and a 10g.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Will the pond be exposed to the elements?

Also, it sounds like an above ground inflatable or hard wall pool. What are you going to use for liner?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store