112g clown loach grow out tank journal

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Day 3 of cycling using discarded tank water from other tanks yesterday and this am along with prime and stablity. Month 3 into my hobby return.

Planned main tank stocklist that I already HAVE in other tanks waiting to be moved in.

8x clouded archerfish hitting 3" mark
2x 5-6" rescue clown loaches
At least 15x 2" clown loaches from same vendor/source might have lost 5 (20 total) not even see dead loaches as got sultans and L114 that prob ate the dead if there was one. Any still skinny will not be moved in and be re-medicated alone in the QT
10 Silas barbs currently pushing past 2.5"
1x rainbow shark
8x congo tetras (might get rid of them
1x L114 ( I have 2 1 is 6" another one is 3" both housed separately)
3x roseline sharks

Long term goal is to get a 10x2x2 acrylic showpiece tank dedicated to the loaches/barbs/archerfish within 2-3 years timeframe. I already have the wall on its own fuse by the electrican and changed into 2 cgfi outlets.

Filter will be FX4 and 1x AC110 for now.

Heaters will be 2x 300w fluval

Stocklist might get rid of ot move into another tank:
Congo tetras
L114s i decided now I dont want to breed this species and focus on loaches only for big tanks
Arulius Barbs depending on how they do with the archerfish.

Standby stocklist: already have
20x red and blue columbian tetras
12x panda barbs
An angelfish pair

My future stocklist
3-6 More roselines
Breeding colony of some type of BN pleco not sure

Already doing WC now every day at 20% if not other day for optium CL growth and see if it makes any difference in the tanks with the CL

Complaint about cost : using 5,000 more gallons a month now in water changes alone. From jan.

15837747723556155035755798811602.jpg

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Headed to pick up a bunch of more cheap starter plants before work and more vals. A bucketful. As tiger vals has been doing very well in the 75g community tank

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Day 4

Power outrage occured whilst I was at work. Now the water is all cloudy

Decided to put lead on the plants and throw in the hitchhiking ramshorns what color variants are those?!?!

Decided not to take all of the plants yesterday. It was too much of the same type of plants. So only took 2 sets. Still alot of same plants.

MUST TO GET LIST: backup battery powered airpump. Before when I had fish room there was always someone home to let me know and I had standby mighty mite to plug in the airpumps. Not anymore.

20200310_133601.jpg

20200310_133458.jpg

Reactions: FIU Panther

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Have you considered getting some pothos? They are some of the best bang for your buck you can get for helping water parameters.
Also those appear to be red ramshorn snails but they just are young.

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
I have cats that eats house plants though. I do have spider plants and prayer plants around the house with chewmarks and missing leaves. And just told off one of my cats earlier today to leave the spider plant alone.

Unfortunately Pothos is deadly for cats otherwise it would been one of my first houseplants to use around the house. I dont recomend it for anyone who has cats. Theyre very toxic to cats. Cats is a huge no-no with this plant. I dont worry about dogs as dogs dont get on top of fish tanks lol. Thank you tho!

I wonder what plants would be safe for the cats and thrive in complete water environment. Any other suggestions fishhead0103666 fishhead0103666 ?

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
*root system completely in water like the pothos. My bad. Was at work.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
You mentioned 5000 gallons of water changes.

How much is water per gallon generally? My water is included in the assessment so I don't have a breakdown in cost.

This is another reason that if we get a bigger tank I hope I can get it in with few people seeing it (probably try to do on a weekday when most people are at work). I'm sure they already think this 125g has increased water. I've had for years so it's already built into the water load for over a decade. If I get a 300-400g with auto water change it will raise the bill of the building but I have no clue how much.

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
When i pull the paperwork back out this weekend will snapshoot. I think huge percentage of it is the water waste of the python water change as it does take time to drain the tank while the water in the sink is running it might be a topic i will have to look into without wasting water. I have been manually draining water then running to the bathroom and emptying it out. It takes a toll on my back. C Cardeater

Also the water useage cleaning out the pool filter sand first month and the red flint sand also had to be rinsed out. Im planning on grabbing another bag of pool filter sand to fill up the 75g more and 40gb could be another reason. I do prefer to continue to do water changes as didnt do WC on the 75g tank for few days to see if its really legit cycled and it seemed to stink up the house making it smell too fishy for me.

Back to the bills: showed me the number of gallons in thousand per month history. Gotta account Sewage as an additional factor too. Waste water is measured here if it goes down the drain. My city bills me driectly. They handle the water sewage and garbage on one bill with details.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
I keep wondering if the water drains faster through the python if you continue to.run water through it. When I shut the water off, I see that there's still a syphon going but I don't know if it is faster if I run faucet.

My tank is next to the kitchen sink so I can use my regular syphon to drain one one side directly into the sink while the python also drains. I figure I get a few greater than 100% changes when I fill through the syphon and continue to still drain with the syphon. This happens when sponges are taking too long to rinse and I have to start filling the tank so the water level doesn't get too low. I also do this before a trip out of town to make sure I'm really starting the tank with zero nitrate.

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
I did that while starting up this particular tank. Did slow drain the first two fillups I did to ensure theres no residue leftover etc just started the sink then turned off the sink water and it continued to drain slow for the next few hours on its own until the last 1/4 of the tank then had to turn sink water back on. Its a 50 foot python. I do wonder now if itll be more efficent if I used a shorter hose now you mention it. Got to re-measure if I can get away with a shorter one. Thanks C Cardeater for mentioning yours being next to the sink.

I dont have that luxury of time when theres 3 tanks to work on with fish in there and heaters/AC filters turned off in some tanks between work during the weekdays.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store