12+ year old pleco died this morning

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Benji, I have had 3 sailfins that lived 9, 10, and 12 years. It's a shock to see them go after so long.

The one at 9 actually jumped out of the tank and died. The other two were happily sucking up zucchini one day and white and dead as a bone the next. No clue why, except maybe age, and lack of exercise.

We're lucky to have a spot where we can bury our pets, and the big fish always end up there.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
I cannot help you with finding causes but I congratulate you on keeping a fish healthy that long. Many people by five years have gotten bored with a fish and no longer have it, or the fish had a short lifespan or was poorly cared for.

It sounds like you did everything right. Sorry your fish friend is gone.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I have an L001 that turned into a bully and kills any other plecos in the tank. I hate him and wish he would die...but I'm doing whatever I can to take care of him and won't get rid of him. He's 9 years old now. He turned into a bully after the 2nd or 3rd year.

Reactions: JAYBIRD1011
I have an L001 that turned into a bully and kills any other plecos in the tank. I hate him and wish he would die...but I'm doing whatever I can to take care of him and won't get rid of him. He's 9 years old now. He turned into a bully after the 2nd or 3rd year.
How does he kill them? Same way they kill other fish?

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
How does he kill them? Same way they kill other fish?
I never saw the act. They were fine the last time I saw them. Then they would be dead the next time. But it was only plecos in the tank. Whenever this guy goes... I'll be free to get some other kinds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store