120 gallon Black Ghost Knifefish Aquarium

DrShrooms

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2017
Tupper Lake,NY
Hey I just picked up a used 120 (48"x24"x24") and stand for 75 bucks! I plan on making it into a community college tank centering around a black ghost. It will be planted and have driftwood in it. What else would work well with this knifefish?

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
But for reals - what other types of fish appeal to you? Do you want cichlids or no?

DrShrooms

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2017
Tupper Lake,NY
I like the German Ram Cichlids but I would want a school of them and was told that they may be too aggressive once they form mated pairs.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
they get 24-30" but should be fine with that footprint and will be big enough to not be prey like the smaller eels and not big enough to eat the BGK

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
they get 24-30" but should be fine with that footprint and will be big enough to not be prey like the smaller eels and not big enough to eat the BGK
A 24 inch eel and a 20 inch knife fish plus bichirs in a 75? Seriously?

Bgk are not the fastest growing fish to full size but eventually will need a bigger tank in my opinion. I think you could keep one in there for a few years though.
If you like schooling cichlids a group of biotadoma cupido may work for a while.
Porthole catfish,hoplo catfish,larger leporinus species or deep bodied tetras over 3 inches may work.
To my mind, a community built around a Bgk could do with being 6 foot or more.
There are smaller species of knife fish available that you could build an interesting community around.
Brown knife springs to mind.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store