120 Gallon "Swamp Shack" Themed Aquarium

Buckdog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. - Inland
Hey everyone.
Well, it's been awhile since I last posted here. Some of you will remember this one:http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?143924-206G-Plywood-Tank-Done-Part1. The update is that project is still alive and well and I'm trying for a completion date in the middle of 2012. However, this is a 120 gallon tank I just completed for a friend of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYHC4fUX9fU

The Tank
Talk about a learning experience. The project was fun but tested me out pretty good. My friend (she) was literally handed an empty 120g tank by someone who was moving on to other things. It had lights but no filters. Around the same time another friend of mine across town was shutting down his big saltwater setup that he had for years. He amassed tons of equipment. I got all of it.:grinno: So...out of the ton of aquarium stuff I dug out two older Fluval 404's, ordered up replacement parts, got everything setup and started cycling the 120.

Here's one of the best parts: My friend had no aquarium experience whatsoever. But, she was willing to learn and she did. She went online and learned as much as she could during the setup. She called and went to LFS', asked questions and got in the groove. Nice. That made things a lot easier. She's still learning, but you couldnt have asked for better. (What's fun is watching her arm fly out of the tank because one of the Tetras nibbled on it while she was cleaning the glass).

The "Shack"
The concept came out of nowhere. We just knew after the initial landscaping during cycling that having some store bought huts, rocks, and plastic plants wasnt gonna do it. Nope. So we went on Google Images, typed in a bunch of ideas and hit pay dirt when we typed in "swamp shack". I took dimesions off several photos, drew up a concept sketch, got her input and went for it. She loves it. She is able to turn the shack lights on and off whenever she has guests over or when she just wants to chill in front of the aquarium.

shack (1).JPG

shack (1).JPG

Judon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2010
San Diego, CA.
That's pretty awesome!! I like that she can turn the lights in the shack off/on... Can we get a pic of it with the aquarium light off and the shack lights on??

How do you have the electricity limited so that it doesn't fry the fish/ her when she sticks her hand in?

Buckdog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. - Inland
Thanx Judon.
The lighting is low voltage (LED or incadescent). It's encapsulated in such a way there is no harm to the fish. Easier said than done. She turns the lights on by a switch in the stand - her hands dont touch the water.
I may have a pic but it isnt that good. I would need to do a slow exposure.
Shack79 (3).jpg
The main light source on the tank is a Marineland LED strip and there is a "moonlight" setting on it which is blue. Tank looks insane when just the moonlights and the shack are lit.

Shack79 (3).jpg

Good_Times

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
South-Africa
Man that is one of the most original ideas I've ever seen. Well done, that must have taken some time. Did u use any glue? If so, which kind?

As added affect I would have left the door open just a bit, to let some light shine out on the deck. That'll make you wanna peek in to see if their just might be a couple of Louisianna crayfisherman playing poker around an old wooden table drinking some whisky.

Buckdog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. - Inland
Thanx Good_Times.
I thought about the door idea but when I tried it didnt play out. I would have needed to do more work inside even if the door was cracked just a bit. Light would need bleed over the door for you to "read" it underwater and that would clash with the porchlight. Also,I would have to hide the cracked door lightsource which was more work than I had time for.

I used a cyanoacrylate to pre bond. I used MAX ACR to completely seal.

Buckdog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. - Inland
Very, Very nice! awesome video too. I love to see Innovation expressed through Aquaria and You took that thought and mastered it. So what are some future plans for the tank? what I've seen thus far is like watching A preview to a movie. Show/tell us more.
Thanx.
There is another set almost ready for this tank which she may do later this year. We got some store bought ornaments from PetSmart (she wanted them and they were on sale), coated them and will add lights, bubbles, etc. It looks wild and colorful but thats what we're going for.

I built this footbridge originally for this tank but it didnt play out very well so it may go into the next set or in my tank later.
shack (57).JPG

shack (57).JPG

Buckdog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. - Inland
thats definitely an original idea as well as pretty B.A. to say the least.. is it a handmade shack and lights or did u find it somewhere?
Thanx.
All handmade. I have a disdain for the store stuff which is why I started doing this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store