120 question

Apex85

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2017
First hello all I am new to this site and recently purchased a used 120 with a sump from a friend. I have a 75 right now with peaceful american cichlids 1 chocolate, 2 firemouths, and a blue acara. My question is since I bought the tank off my friend who is getting out of the hobby it comes with his stock. I have been researching on the inhabitants however and I am a little worried. The stock is 1 female con, a male and female salvini, and a male Red dragon Flowerhorn. He has had thee guys as tank mates for about 6 months. However after doing some research I am unsure if this stock will work long term. I have made caves for the sals to feel secure in. The female con follows the flowerhorn around like a lost puppy. Going forward what would you guys advise is this stock ok.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
My opinion is if it's not broken, don't fix it. It seems like the fish are used to each other, and if the flowerhorn isn't killing anything, that's a good sign. How large are all the fish? Possible issues would be the flowerhorn maybe growing up to be a psycho killer, and the salvini's breeding and becoming psycho killers. If these two things don't happen, and aggression doesn't become an issue, the tank would be large enough to house the residents.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
If the fh breeds with the con you could get issues too...

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Predator07

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2018
Orlando,FL
150gallon but will upgrade in the summer... I'm consider with chocolate cichlid he's 4.5inch but he's peaceful... what size should the other Be??.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Okay and will those cichlids work for my tank.... Are there any others American cichlid you recommend??

I personally would not add a Oscar or the Jack Dempsey. The Oscar deserves to be in a larger aquarium. The Jack Dempsey may become more aggressive as it matured and is a CA cichlid. I would probably do the Chocolate with the GT and maybe a Severum.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store