125g Set Up

SYCichlid

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2010
Florida
Finally got my 125g set up to move my 2 Oscars in. Any thoughts on adding a small group of Electric Blue Acaras in the future. Was going to wait till they were around 5" or so to add them in. I do have plenty of other tanks to move them out if it doesn't work out.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Since you said you feel necessary to wait for the acaras to get to 5", I believe your oscars are already fairly large. Consequently, adding the group of acaras does not sound like a good idea (to me).

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I think what you're saying is wait until the Oscar's are 5", then getting acaras? If so then thats a bad idea ime. Oscars at 5" are already somewhat predatory, looking to eat small fish. For best results with this mix I would look for larger acaras (over 3") asap.

Reactions: dr exum

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
I think what you're saying is wait until the Oscar's are 5", then getting acaras? If so then thats a bad idea ime. Oscars at 5" are already somewhat predatory, looking to eat small fish. For best results with this mix I would look for larger acaras (over 3") asap.
just make sure the acara's aren't too small .. you don't want to serve them up for lunch... then just watch for aggression...a bigger group of acara's(like 5) is a good idea, to spread out any aggression... catfish like raphaels are a good option as well

Reactions: Backfromthedead

SYCichlid

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2010
Florida
Now that I have acquired the EBCs, I think I am going to just keep them in a separate species only tank. The 2 Oscar's will be in the 125 by themselves with some sort of pleco to help aid in their messy eating habits. Thanks for the replies and insight.?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Just a heads up, pleco will most likely make the water dirtier by increasing the bio-load, instead of helping. If you want something that will eat scraps, a pimelodella cat (one of the larger varieties) will do that. The plecos will mainly just turn algae into poop, and require additional feeding themselves.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store