125g species options

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
Hey all

While I continue my quest to find my 125g setup in a world full of tank shortages.. I'm working on my stock plans.

Currently have a Turquoise Severum approx 6" ready for a bigger home that will be staying as well as a 7" Polypterus Delhezi.

I plan to add a few more Upper Jaw Polypterus Species (Likely Teugelsi/Mokelembembe/Palmas) and would like to add 1-2 more SA cichlids as well if I can find good fits. Not sure how eartheaters would do with the Polys on the bottom.

Criteria:
Mild Temperment
Max Size 10" or less
Compatible with the current Sev & Polys

I like the idea of something non traditional vs. the standard run of the mill species keeping in mind I plan for these fish to hopefully be in my long term care as my primary tank, not something that gets swapped out.

Thanks for the suggestions in advance!

Reactions: tlindsey

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
I'm good on the Catfish as the Polys can be slow eaters and don't need any competition - thinking more for a cichlid that could go with/complement the turquoise sev - possibly like a Chocolate, a Uaru, not sure if there are any Vieja species that could work etc.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey all

While I continue my quest to find my 125g setup in a world full of tank shortages.. I'm working on my stock plans.

Currently have a Turquoise Severum approx 6" ready for a bigger home that will be staying as well as a 7" Polypterus Delhezi.

I plan to add a few more Upper Jaw Polypterus Species (Likely Teugelsi/Mokelembembe/Palmas) and would like to add 1-2 more SA cichlids as well if I can find good fits. Not sure how eartheaters would do with the Polys on the bottom.

Criteria:
Mild Temperment
Max Size 10" or less
Compatible with the current Sev & Polys

I like the idea of something non traditional vs. the standard run of the mill species keeping in mind I plan for these fish to hopefully be in my long term care as my primary tank, not something that gets swapped out.

The concern with the Geophagus and the Polypterus is feeding. Also Geophagus may be nipped at night while resting.
Thanks for the suggestions in advance!

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
tlindsey hadn't thought about them getting nipped by the polys, if there was anything else supposed to be in that quote it got cut off

owen I have no idea what you mean what color, looking for cooperative species

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would stay away from Vieja or any other central american cichlids with your severum. South americans will work better aggression-wise (generally CA are much rowdier), will prefer the same type of water etc.
I kept a senegal bichir in a setup with geophagus steindachneri before and there were no problems between the two, though the situation might be different with larger groups of both fish type.
Lots of mid-sized south american species that would work. I would have a look through tangledupincichlids or cichlidsoftheamericas. Both websites have SA fish lists with lots of less common species. Most types of acara would be decent fit for example (would avoid dwarfs like mikrogeophagus with the bichirs).
Chocolate etc. may work or may clash with the severum due to similar body types. 3 individuals probably better chance than 2 to work out imo, and same sex would be ideal.

Reactions: NCStateFisher

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
Great info Swami will check those out!

Reactions: Gourami Swami
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store