14” Clown Loach in UK

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Very very interesting.....First time I get some sort of answer why mine changed colour. I am guessing, based on what you're saying is that it could be gene related. I also have one barb covered in gold specs, like gold dust that stays constantly, not due to a light reflection. It's visible no matter the angle. It was like that since it was a fry. Perhaps in my "clown loach wannabe" barb there's a 'xanthic gene also...that is not present in the other ones. And its interesting that the red stripe remains as red as ever, regardless of the other drastic colour changes.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Just bumping this as I happened onto this thread just now. I'm surprised I missed it as March 2018 was when I was actively searching for threads on clown loaches.

Great thread and Vincent obviously has awesome tanks.

I found the discussion concerning the fragility of the large wild caught clowns intriguing and sad. I watched a bunch of the Aquarium Coop Cory's 800g clown Loach tank videos and he mentioned that he lost a bunch of the large clowns he had imported as well. One theory he mentioned is he suspected maybe it was a result of how these fish were caught.

I don't have much info on the subject to know if that theory could carry some weight. I just remember that it's been mentioned that one method of catching larger loaches is supposedly that they put out hollowed out tubes. Loaches go inside to hide and when they retreive the tubes, the large loaches are caughtcaught . That would seem to go against Cory's theory.

Ive heard that Otto's are supposedly caught using cyanide to stun the fish. Is it possible there's some sort of similar poisoning method used to catch large loaches more efficiently that is contributing to their fragility?

I am in awe when I imagine how big these are. I think my biggest is 8-9" (she's old but I think I stunted her with poor husbandry including once a month water changes for years before I knew better) and can barely picture how one twice the size would look!

Reactions: henria86

andrewsin

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2010
london
Thanks for bumping this page! It is so rare to see a big clown loach for sale in the UK. Normally people sell them to their friends so it never gets advertised.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Large loaches die from the stress of collection, as do millions of other wild fish every year. A sad and unfortunate part of our little hobby. Smaller loaches tend to acclimatize easier. From a past post of mine in the import/export study discussion......

Until now, there has been no direct cue that wild stocks of clown loach are critically endangered, but it is generally considered that the collection of juveniles in the wild is over-intensive (Olivier 2001). Reported around 20 million individuals fifteen years ago (Ng and Tan 1997), the number of clown loach juveniles exported annually was estimated at about 50 millions in 2009 (Satyani unpubl. data). This figure is even probably an underestimation of captures, as a significant but variable proportion of fish die rapidly from handling and transportation and is not considered in export estimations."

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Interestingly, Cory brought up his import of large loaches briefly in his Christmas livestream today. Someone asked him if he had any regrets with his 800g. He said he didn't regret it because he learned from.it, but he mentioned the importing large loaches for his tank. He said if he were to do it again, he wouldn't try importing large ones and would just be content with growing them out.
I think he mentioned that he didn't expect the losses to be as large as he experienced.

RD, thanks for the info.

follen

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2008
england
I would of snapped it up if I would of seen it. A shop I have visited in the South East informed me he can get 15 inch ones quite easily but in excess of £250. Will be getting one in the new year hopefully

andrewsin

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2010
london
I would of snapped it up if I would of seen it. A shop I have visited in the South East informed me he can get 15 inch ones quite easily but in excess of £250. Will be getting one in the new year hopefully
Can you pm me shop details, I would also be interested!

andrewsin

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2010
london
Can you pm me shop details, I would also be interested!

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I would be guessing that imported large clown loaches are many many years old.....I will not even venture a guess...So it is possible that they're not going to easily adapt to being kept in closed quarters, i.e. fish prison. I know from personal experience clown loaches are very easy to spook and even young ones take years to get out of their shy shells.

I'd suggest that if paying that much for a fish then try keeping those large new clowns in a large, darker aquarium, with buddies of their own, with the glass completely covered by something black at least for a while, and excellent water quality and food...

Following my previous comments, I'll be glad if someone proves me wrong and measures a bunch of large clown loaches to be well over 12 inch.....

So I am looking forward to updates....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store