150 gallon heavily stocked with Cichlids. How often can I vacuum the gravel?

ctateo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2006
Flushing, NY
Between the large cichlids, my heavy feeding as i grow out a few in the same tank, and 2 plecos making their poop spaghetti, the bottom of my tank has detritus swirling around only a day after vacuuming and doing a water change.

I'll be adding a powerhead to try and keep it all suspended in the water and hopefully grabbed by the filter(though that will increase the frequency of filter cleaning). However until i do, is it OK to vacuum daily with my Python if I keep it to no more than 10%-15% of the water being pulled out and changed?

Also, I've seen the battery operated vacuums like the (expensive) eheim, as well as some much cheaper(under$20) models. Does anyone recommend these? Is it worth the money for the eheim? Or can i get away with an eBay special?

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
It will not hurt anything to do daily vacuuming. In fact, it will probably be beneficial, especially since it sounds like you are heavily stocked?

Sorry I have no experience with the battery operated vacuum so cannot comment on that. Although, if they work good, that would seem much easier than having to hook up the Pythom everyday . ?

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
The electric ones let you play cool practical jokes with the detritus collected. Mailman piss you off? Fill your mailbox with fish poop to dump on him when he opens it. Nothing is funnier than watching someone slip on a shoe filled with crap!!!?

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
I'd say best to keep the vacuuming frequency to no more than 4 times per day. You'll just burn through too much dechlorinator.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
With heavily stocked tanks I have often done daily vacuuming.
Those battery vacs are are useless, sure... they make the tank look better, but they leave all the invisible waste by-products in the tank.
And its the invisible chemical by-products of waste that are the most damaging to fish health, and fish growth.

Reactions: tlindsey

ctateo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2006
Flushing, NY
It will not hurt anything to do daily vacuuming. In fact, it will probably be beneficial, especially since it sounds like you are heavily stocked?

Sorry I have no experience with the battery operated vacuum so cannot comment on that. Although, if they work good, that would seem much easier than having to hook up the Pythom everyday . ?
Pretty heavy, yes... 10 inch jag, 6 inch gt, 8-9 inch leporinus, a few convicts, and 2 plecos.... Plus 2 small Oscar's. The waste increases by the day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store