1500G stocklist

lampy007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2017
Hi all

Ive been out of the game now for about 10 years and am just getting back into it.. I am going to kick off my approx 1,500 Gallon Plybuild in the next couple months, I have everything in order except my stocklist!!!!
just looking for a little help on what I can put in there, it will have LOTS AND LOTS of rocks for hiding/breading for the fish, I am thinking:

Chewere Cichlid - Pseudotopheus Elongatus Chewere
Pseudotropheus Demasoni

Cobalt Blue Zebra
Cyrtocara Moorii Blue Dolphin
Labidochromis Electric Yellow
Melanochromis Maingano
Melanochromis interuptus
Nimbochromis Venustus
Red Jacobfreibergi Firebird Peacock
Julidochromis Transcriptus
Julidochromis Marlieri
Tropheus Duboisi Maswa

Bristlenose Catfish
CLOWN PLECO
Gold Spotted Plecostomus
Spotted Sailfin Plecostomus

I am hoping because my tank is so big I will get away with quite a few of these however I think the Fire bird may be a little to ambitious :)
Can I get some opinions on this list as to be honest ive completely forgotten a lot about these fish and really need to get back to researching again.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
might have to alter the stocking, but Boulengerochromis microlepis....there is a pair at a LFS...one is like 16 inches and has probably another 16 to go lol.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
1500 gallons, your stocking will be fine. Could throw pretty much any combo of 4-10" African cichlids together in that size tank. The emperor cichlids (b. microlepis) are amazing but will eat most of what you had on your list. If you wanted to do them I would just do a group of those, they are super powerful swimmers and would fill the tank up.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I like the list just a curious question. Why would a Gibbiceps be so costly?
Are they hard to come by there?
Here you can't give them away. Or they are only a few bucks.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Personally I wouldn't mix the lakes, IMO Malawi or Tangs, not both together.
You have a ton of options in a tank that size, take your time and choose wisely as removing fish after the fact probably won't be that easy. lol

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
You don't want a pair of microlepis.
I can't remember which, but either the male or female will die after mating. *Edit* (its both)
they stop eating and their digestive tract stops functioning until they starve to death, which is long enough for their fry to reach a good size.

It was in one of the planet earth or blue planet documentaries, essentially they breed once in their lifetime and their lifespan is determined by wether or not they breed.

Last edited:

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
Think the documentary is Jewel of the Rift, but in captivity I think they have had some success in breeding and the parents survived...it's an article floating around somewhere.

Thomas18

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2017
Australia
Even with the tank being so big i wouldn't mix lake Tanganyika and Malawi fish. I would just stick to having fish from one lake, that way the aggression levels between the fish more so what i would be.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store