150g tall bracing

--BAE--

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2009
uk lincolnshire
I purchased a secondhand tank(120cm long X 79cm tall X 61cm wide made from 10mm glass) but unfortunately the plastic brace bar that was part of the plastic frame was broken off.

I bought some 10mm glass pieces as follows

7cmx100cm for the front
7cmx 80cm for the back
And then two 10cm X 59cm (front to back of tank)

But not sure how best to layout the braces.

I know the drawings are not symmetrical but I of course would make it all symmetric.

Here's a drawing of the three ideas Ive had.

Thank you

Reactions: Backfromthedead

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I'll bite...
I believe your plan includes using the existing plastic frame that comes with the tank (from which the center plastic brace broke). I am unsure of whether you plan on attaching the strips of glass underneath, or above the lip of the existing plastic rim. I would do the latter (but see below) - I believe any of the 3 situations you outlined should work, and that it is more a matter of additional pluses/minuses, rather than about holding the tank together and preventing bowing (all three should accomplish it).
I would consider several items to ascertain the pluses and minuses:
1) Silicone attaches very well to glass, but very poorly to the plastic frame; 2) Plastic lip (with glass strip atrached) can be sandwiched between two glass strips, producing a very good attachment when the glass is wider; 3) the wider the surfaces of attachment, the strongest the bond; because you have a relatively long tank (~31 inches), I would go for what provides the strongest brace; 4) Depending on the type of aquarium cover to be used, you may find more convenient (or better looking) to have the glass upon which the cover will rest, to be underneath (usually better) or on top of the lip of the plastic frame. How the cover will seat may take precedence other other issues, strength being the most important.
Hopefully you will get more input. Good luck!

--BAE--

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2009
uk lincolnshire
Thank you for the response so I intend to leave the plastic frame on but it has the lip has broke off with the plastic brace bar (I also do not have the brace bar ), but was thinking I'd put the bracing inside the tank if that makes sense.

Ive attached a picture of what I mean (sort of cutaway style picture)

Blue is glass , green is silicone and black is the plastic trim

Screenshot_20201130-231320_Autodesk SketchBook.jpg

Last edited:

--BAE--

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2009
uk lincolnshire
And the middle option would be the most convenient for cover glasses but I wasn't sure if that would be strong enough?

I did also think I could do this where it's middle option but with the brace bars sandwiching the long brace bars?

Screenshot_20201130-231803_Autodesk SketchBook.jpg

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I would implement your first option, I don't think the long straps on the front and back panels are necessary and could look a little messy. But they couldn't hurt i suppose.

--BAE--

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2009
uk lincolnshire
I will be building a canopy style lid so they won't be seen anyway. I just figured they would add strength and give me somewhere to put my cover glasses on.

Would you say option 1 was stronger than option 2 with the sandwiched option?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store