150gal. dilemma

JF Sirois

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
I currently have a 5x2x2 150 gal. tank. I have a pair of GT 6.5 and 5.5 inches, a 7.5 inch male JD and a 6 inch female RTM, I also have a 14inch iridescent shark that will be going away soon. It doesn't change a lot but i have also a 12 inch common pleco. I want to have either a pair or a single fish in my 150 gal along with the pleco. I could keep my GT pair but the tank would be pretty empty. I was thinking about getting some festae for a pretty long time but was never able to find some where i live(MTL, canada) I'm looking for something that will be pretty imposing that will fill up the tank. I want a colourful fish. My current ideas would be to get either festae or synspilum because of their colour. I need suggestions of cichlids i could put in my tank that would probably be easier to get my hands on than festae.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Have you thought about Oscars? They are common enough that most every pet store has a tank full of them. You could get a group of 6, let them grow up and pair off then rehome the rest.

Edit : With good water maintenance and good food even a common Oscar can be striking in apperance. Not to mention all the personality that comes with Oscars. 20171110_220042.jpg
This is my Oscar, it's only about half way done growing so far at 7 inches now imagine what she will look like when full grown.

Last edited:

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
Nicaraguense cichlids or nics, fairly common at the right time, not too aggressive, top out at 9 inches for males and 7inches for females , and their colours can rival those of any marine fish.
Other colourful cichlids include
Salvini cichlids 6-8 inches
Mayan cichlid 8-10 inches (not too colourful but similar to a festae)
Synspilum 12-16 inches (in my last 3 synspilum all have massacred tankmates like buttikoferi and have but probably my luck)
Female jaguar cichlid 11-12 inches (less aggressive than a male)

I currently have a 5x2x2 150 gal. tank. I have a pair of GT 6.5 and 5.5 inches, a 7.5 inch male JD and a 6 inch female RTM, I also have a 14inch iridescent shark that will be going away soon. It doesn't change a lot but i have also a 12 inch common pleco. I want to have either a pair or a single fish in my 150 gal along with the pleco. I could keep my GT pair but the tank would be pretty empty. I was thinking about getting some festae for a pretty long time but was never able to find some where i live(MTL, canada) I'm looking for something that will be pretty imposing that will fill up the tank. I want a colourful fish. My current ideas would be to get either festae or synspilum because of their colour. I need suggestions of cichlids i could put in my tank that would probably be easier to get my hands on than festae.

JF Sirois

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
Have you thought about Oscars? They are common enough that most every pet store has a tank full of them. You could get a group of 6, let them grow up and pair off then rehome the rest.

Edit : With good water maintenance and good food even a common Oscar can be striking in apperance. Not to mention all the personality that comes with Oscars. View attachment 1286056
This is my Oscar, it's only about half way done growing so far at 7 inches now imagine what she will look like when full grown.
Yes I have tought about them. They would get the perfect size i want. It's just, personnaly I do not find them that attractive. I'll probably get crap from all those oscar lovers out there but its my opinion. Also those at my LFS do not look like good quality oscars, there is always zero colour on them..

JF Sirois

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
Nicaraguense cichlids or nics, fairly common at the right time, not too aggressive, top out at 9 inches for males and 7inches for females , and their colours can rival those of any marine fish.
Other colourful cichlids include
Salvini cichlids 6-8 inches
Mayan cichlid 8-10 inches (not too colourful but similar to a festae)
Synspilum 12-16 inches (in my last 3 synspilum all have massacred tankmates like buttikoferi and have but probably my luck)
Female jaguar cichlid 11-12 inches (less aggressive than a male)
I have always liked salvinis tremendously. I was just looking for something bigger, if not I would keep my GT pair. Do you have any other suggestions for cichlids that top at the 13-16 inch range ?

Tyler_Wentworth_150

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2015
Humboldt county
In my opinion a 13-16” cichlid absolutely doesn’t belong in a 5’ tank. Especially a boisterous large fish like you want. There are plenty of fish that’ll fit in there for life without being cramped. I think you’ll be quite happy with the GT pair in there. I assure you all the monster cichlids out there will appreciate the consideration nearly as much as they appreciate massive tanks. :)

JF Sirois

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
In my opinion a 13-16” cichlid absolutely doesn’t belong in a 5’ tank. Especially a boisterous large fish like you want. There are plenty of fish that’ll fit in there for life without being cramped. I think you’ll be quite happy with the GT pair in there. I assure you all the monster cichlids out there will appreciate the consideration nearly as much as they appreciate massive tanks. :)
By the time they get too big for the 150, i'll have a bigger tank, i'm already thinking about building another plywood tank.

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
I have always liked salvinis tremendously. I was just looking for something bigger, if not I would keep my GT pair. Do you have any other suggestions for cichlids that top at the 13-16 inch range ?
Pearsei cichlids
Red tiger mota female
Female festae (if it's well mannered)

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I would keep the gt pair and add some non cichlid tank mates like large banded leporinus or a group of catfish like Hoplo's or suitably sized pims.
The gt will fill a 5 foot tank when mature.
A male gt over 10 inches is impressive and colourful.Its also as big as I would go in that size tank.

Reactions: Hendre
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store