170 gallon acrylic tank uh...reset?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Ok so minus all the boring details, i acquired this tank for free:
20180804_110707.jpg
A 36"x24"x48" in-wall tower tank with 1" acrylic all around. Strange dimensions i know.

However i have an idea to maybe make them a little less strange. I was thinking i could cut the top and overflow wall off, then flip the tank on its side so the other black end with return holes is on the bottom. Then i would cut the overflow wall to fit the 36" side and attach it there.

It would effectively turn this near useless tank to me into a very sturdy 48"lx24"wx35-36"h which i could definitely do something with.

Two questions for those more versed in tank construction:

Is there any reason this wouldnt work?

With the 1" acrylic, could i just leave this bad boy rimless at 35" tall?

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
That tanks look great! Nice pick-up! That tank would probably run >$2K new.

Can't tell you how many times I've seen tanks on Craiglist that look like someone took a chainsaw to them and I've wondered, what were they thinking? Now I know. It looks like you are headed down the same path.

Don't do it!

Acrylic fabrication requires skill and tools to do properly. Even if you are able to do a bang-up job cutting and reattaching a panel, if there was any bowing/deflection on the panel you would be using as the bottom, it may cause enough stress to damage/crack the tank.

If you are more interested in a larger footprint, why not sell that tank to someone who can make use of those dimensions (that would make an awesome Angelfish or discus display) and with the proceeds, buy yourself a tank with the footprint you are looking for?

If you are still set on chopping it up, I would post to the thread listed below. You will get advice from people who work with acrylic for a living.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1056956&page=205

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Set it up as is IMO... Looks to be in exellent shape and ready to go. For the time, tools and knowledge needed to pull off ur proposed plan its just not worth it. Can still have plenty diff. species in there, even some monsters. 4' height is mighty nice to look at on a stand. Chaulk it up to a very nice show tank and fill er up lol...

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
That tanks look great! Nice pick-up! That tank would probably run >$2K new.

Can't tell you how many times I've seen tanks on Craiglist that look like someone took a chainsaw to them and I've wondered, what were they thinking? Now I know. It looks like you are headed down the same path.

Don't do it!

Acrylic fabrication requires skill and tools to do properly. Even if you are able to do a bang-up job cutting and reattaching a panel, if there was any bowing/deflection on the panel you would be using as the bottom, it may cause enough stress to damage/crack the tank.

If you are more interested in a larger footprint, why not sell that tank to someone who can make use of those dimensions (that would make an awesome Angelfish or discus display) and with the proceeds, buy yourself a tank with the footprint you are looking for?

If you are still set on chopping it up, I would post to the thread listed below. You will get advice from people who work with acrylic for a living.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1056956&page=205
Very persuasive and sensible argument here. A couple counterpoints i would like to make to explain what i was thinking:

I really do like the overflow setup and the two holes on the other end would be perfect for returns once the tank was turned?

You seen the prices on 1" acrylic lately? Idk about this tank for certain but i priced out a 60x24x48 tank a few months back and it was over $6k.

The current ruling in the household by the SO is that there will be no more buying of tanks. Even if i were to make all profit by selling this one lol.

But all in all youre absolutely right. Makes no sense to mar an otherwise perfect condition tank. Selling it will probably be my go to.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Set it up as is IMO... Looks to be in exellent shape and ready to go. For the time, tools and knowledge needed to pull off ur proposed plan its just not worth it. Can still have plenty diff. species in there, even some monsters. 4' height is mighty nice to look at on a stand. Chaulk it up to a very nice show tank and fill er up lol...
I suppose my 3rd question shouldve been is it even worth it to make these changes?

Its just that this tank is so limited in application for me. Pretty much has to be in wall or some kind of enclosed cabinet. Interested in what you would stock in it?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Well don't sell the tank, as your wife might not let you buy another,why not do a terrarium with a waterfall?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Very persuasive and sensible argument here. A couple counterpoints i would like to make to explain what i was thinking:

I really do like the overflow setup and the two holes on the other end would be perfect for returns once the tank was turned?

You seen the prices on 1" acrylic lately? Idk about this tank for certain but i priced out a 60x24x48 tank a few months back and it was over $6k.

The current ruling in the household by the SO is that there will be no more buying of tanks. Even if i were to make all profit by selling this one lol.

But all in all youre absolutely right. Makes no sense to mar an otherwise perfect condition tank. Selling it will probably be my go to.
plenty options for stocking still IMO... monster mbu puffer...3' fire/tiretrack eel, birchir pile, florida gar, freshwater morey...anything in the 8-12" range for open water. Same water volume whether u flip it on its side or not and stock would be pretty much the same really. Just think of filling the water column with different tiers of fish to best use the space top/middle/bottom. y i suggest a large eel of sorts that will use every level.

As for cutting it...theres no other way than to dive in with a skill saw. u can spend many hrs just seperating sheets with a saw an end up cracking it. ud still need a good top brace at 3' and will end up spending more $$ on material.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I agree with the others. That tank is a thing of beauty. This thread should be all about stocking ideas for that tank and not about butchering it. Free as well, jeez!

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
plenty options for stocking still IMO... monster mbu puffer...3' fire/tiretrack eel, birchir pile, florida gar, freshwater morey...anything in the 8-12" range for open water. Same water volume whether u flip it on its side or not and stock would be pretty much the same really. Just think of filling the water column with different tiers of fish to best use the space top/middle/bottom. y i suggest a large eel of sorts that will use every level.

As for cutting it...theres no other way than to dive in with a skill saw. u can spend many hrs just seperating sheets with a saw an end up cracking it. ud still need a good top brace at 3' and will end up spending more $$ on material.
I would adore a mbuna puffer but i don't believe the footprint is near large enough for one. But just you mentioning mbuna and deadliestvipers terrarium idea have me thinking about a congo paludarium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store