180 gallon native stocking options?

uselessmidget

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2008
Plainfield, Illinois
Hello everyone, I am going to be setting up a 180 gallon tank at my business and I want to go with a theme of fish from the Great Lakes.

I was wondering if any of the following can be kept in a 180 gallon and if not if you have any suggestions that are more appropriate:
Black Bullhead
Yellow Perch
Crappie
Bluegill
Crayfish
Pike
SMB or LMB

I assume trout and salmon are not possible.

I was leaning towards a combo of perch, crayfish, bluegill or crappie but I figured I'd check with the experts before doing anything I'll regret.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

MultispeciesTamer

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Michigan
Hello everyone, I am going to be setting up a 180 gallon tank at my business and I want to go with a theme of fish from the Great Lakes.

I was wondering if any of the following can be kept in a 180 gallon and if not if you have any suggestions that are more appropriate:
Black Bullhead
Yellow Perch
Crappie
Bluegill
Crayfish
Pike
SMB or LMB

I was leaning towards a combo of perch, crayfish, bluegill or crappie but I figured I'd check with the experts before doing anything I'll regret.

Pike, smallies, and largies could only live in a 180 for a few years before they'd grow to large. All the other species would work though.
Crayfish are fun but escape artist! So make sure they have zero ways to get out or else one day they will be gone!

Duckman77

Piranha
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
Aurora, IL
Definitely not pike. Pickerel might be an alternative depending on tankmates. Bass would be ok for a few years, but not for life. The others would do fine in a 180. The crayfish probably won't work out. That's just my experience with mixing crayfish with fish.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

StuChuck

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2018
I would go with the perch myself, they don't often get much over 12" in the wild. At least around here.

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018

Black Bullhead
Yellow Perch
Crappie
Bluegill
Crayfish
Pike
SMB or LMB

* New fav shiners are the Notropis Chrosomus
* Nocomis Leptocephalus / Biguttatus / Micropogon
* Campostoma Anomalum
* & some gar + cats

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store