180g planting advice

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Hello. I recently purchased a used 180g standard with wet/dry sump, dual overflows, and canopy for lights. I have not yet set it up or cycled it. Would appreciate some information on substrate and lighting, as I would like to grow plants instead of algae. Just like my previous set up, the 180g will be freshwater.

In my 55g, I've had vals and crypts as the only plants able to survive. Anachris, anubias, java fern, all died. I'm not sure if this is due to inadequate/too much lighting, high nitrates, substrate, ph 7.8 or all of the above. Another thing I can think of is poor pruning technique etc. For fertilizer I use flourish tabs, but was also using liquid fertilizers. Things were surviving, but not thriving. Currently have a sunblaster that stays on for 1-2 hours in the morning and then 4-6 hours in the evening.

1. Can any plants thrive in a pH of around 7.8?
2. Should I use my old substrate to help cycle the 180g?It does have MTS, which I have mixed feelings about transferring to the new tank
******I also have 3 Five gallon buckets of substrate from the previous owner of the 180g. It looks like it was sand with BB from a saltwater tank. Not sure if this should be used at all? I'm a little hesitant using substrate from another person, especially if I don't know how healthy the fish were.
3. Do I need to get a specific substrate for consistent plant growth?
*****I have five 6-11 inch bichirs, so the substrate probably needs to be burying friendly (like sand) as I have one fish who likes to submerge almost completely in the sand on a daily basis.
4. Recommended low tech plants like vals and crypts? I would prefer African plants, but that is not necessary. Just want some nice green plants that are easy to take care of. Ideally, I would not want to do anything with CO2 or anything that will completely take over the tank. It is also necessary that there is some empty sand for the polypterids to be able to bury in or rest on.
5. Recommended lights?
*****the canopy looks like it can hold4 T-5 lights.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
My ph is around 8... and plants grow just fine... I stick to easy plants like hygro.. anubis.. moss.. etc.

I use sand but plants do better in fertalizer... u can use tabs or buy actual fert substrate and put it wherever you will add plants.. cover it with sand after if you like... anubis shouldnt be "planted" rather attach it to wood or rocks with fishing line or string and it will root to it

For lights i only use my "cheap" but powerful chinese hanging lights off of amazon... search for mars aqua, Willis or the like..
There all the same but work amazing... very powerful LEDs and plants thrive off of them... hygrophila variants of plants are very good ez plants that prefer bigh light and fert but grow fast and dont collect algae... but algae can be combated with level of light/amount of time the lights are on/ and mostly how much nitrates are in the water due to feeding and fish waste

Reactions: clm08k

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I have a ph of 7.6 and yet my anubias nana and anubias petite grew perfectly. Slow but it's because I did nothing special for them It's not the ph that killed them I would imagine since me and nils both had success growing anubias near or higher than your ph it's something else that is going on.

Reactions: clm08k

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
1. Ph should be fine. The plants will grow. My semi planted tank (work in progress) have similar plants. Use hard water and the plants grow fine.
2. Can use the same substrate. Not necessary. The rooted plants would do better with a substrate like aqua soil or even plant soil from Home Depot. I would pass using other keepers substrates.
3. No but the plants would do better. Higher chances of growth. Can always do soil or aqua soil (or any equivalent) then place a sand layer over it. Thick enough that if the bichirs dive in the substrate for the plants won’t be disturbed. Can always place rocks around certain planted areas to keep the bichirs off of it.
4. Low tech plants will work like valisneria, crypts, ferns, anubias, pennywort, Moss, dwarf lily,swords, rotala etc. But with a lot of plants will need to dose fertilizer as the elements will be used as more plants are added and growing. Rooted plants will need and do better with root tabs and fertz in the water column. Red plants do better with fertz (iron) and even more so with co2.
5. Most light should work. Tube lights work and leds work well.

A little extra to add. Always find out if the plants were grown immersed or submerged. Expect some melting and time to regrow. Wouldn’t throw out the plant.

If u can add co2 then the plants will really start to grow. Something to think about.

Expect some algae when dosing extra nutrients into the tank. As the plants grow and outcompete the algae then it’ll help to control it.

Reactions: clm08k and tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store