180G Rescape

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Hello,
So just sharing the 180G rescale I did that has been set up for around 48 hours now.
The tank is a 180G with a 40G (4ft sump underneath).
I went with a sand substrate with no dirt as I have some Geophagus Tapajós and Pseudohemiodon Lamina in the tank.
Currently I run my radions on the planted preset for 8hours a day with a max intensity of 35%. In terms of dosing I am using the Seachem Flourish range following their weekly dosing calendar available on their website. I don’t believe I need to be adding the nitrogen (at least not at the recommended dose) due to the stocking levels of the tank.

In terms of plants I would like to add more. Currently I just have some Anubias and Java Moss which I glued to the wood (excuse the white dots I think I put a little too much glue, this was my first time doing it). I would like to add some java fern and possibly more Java Moss as I have a tonne sitting in a bucket still.

For the fish I think “I have bitten off a bit more then I can chew” considering I have always come from understocming my tanks. I may change around the stock as to me it looks quite busy, maybe it is due to the fact majority of the fish are staying near the front glass and not utalising the back of the tank.
Current fish sticking is:
10 Geophagus Tapajós (I will reduce numbers once they get bigger)
2 Keyhole Cichlids
4 Pseudohemiodon Lamina
8 Brochis Splendens or Brochis Splendens
7 Dianema Urostriatum
30 Lemon Tetras

Please let me know if anyone has any advice. This is going to be my first attempt at a planted tank. I would like to eventually add CO2 however, not sure how to due to the fact I have a sump.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Looks good. As for adding co2 just do it like anyother tank with co2. Or you could put it in the sump in front of the return pump as long as it didnt cause major cavitation you should be fine.

Reactions: stiker

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Looks good. As for adding co2 just do it like anyother tank with co2. Or you could put it in the sump in front of the return pump as long as it didnt cause major cavitation you should be fine.
I was told by one of my LFS that if I put the co2 in the sand near a return pump a lot of what I was putting in would be wasted so I wasn’t sure

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
with your current plant selection c02 injection is not really needed try Seachem excel type products ( I use Metricide) Nice looking tank !
I know they aren’t exactly hard plants to keep. I am dosing Seachem excel along with the rest of the Seachem flourish range. Would the co2 increase plant growth though? Plus would it decrease algae growth? I really want it to fill in nicely

Reactions: twentyleagues

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
I know they aren’t exactly hard plants to keep. I am dosing Seachem excel along with the rest of the Seachem flourish range. Would the co2 increase plant growth though? Plus would it decrease algae growth? I really want it to fill in nicely
I did it both ways , CO2 injection helped the swords and carpet plants, but really had no effect on the anubias or buce .....excel is an effective algacide .....most people with anubias or java fern keep there lights on too long... cant force growth....GL ... try plantedtank.net lots of good info

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store