1st stingrays!

note2self

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2014
pac nw
Hi all,

I recently acquired my first pair of rays from Kevin at stingray biology and rod at predatory fins. They were sold to me as motoro x pearl hybrids but honestly I don’t know. Anyone else know? All I know is that they are cool as hell and I can’t wait to grow these out and look at getting more.

Right now, they are in a 75 with a 20 gallon overhead sump stuffed with about 70% Matala and 30% lava rock and a 500gph pump. After not eating for the first 2 weeks they arrived, they are finally eating chopped worms and small pieces of silversides. The tank they are in has about 25 white clouds and unfortunately they are snacking on those too! I used to have the rays in a 125 with a pair of jardini and a swamp eel but I think it was a little crowded. They are much more active and hungry in their 75. The plan is to grow them out and put them in a 400 acrylic tank that I scored for 400 bucks

Anyway, pics for proof! Excuse the algae....haven’t wiped the tank down yetD3CAFEA2-6052-4E76-8911-2790FFFD2A12.jpeg

D83086A2-16F7-4771-A594-B6D2D1923DF2.jpeg

Attachments

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi all,

I recently acquired my first pair of rays from Kevin at stingray biology and rod at predatory fins. They were sold to me as motoro x pearl hybrids but honestly I don’t know. Anyone else know? All I know is that they are cool as hell and I can’t wait to grow these out and look at getting more.

Right now, they are in a 75 with a 20 gallon overhead sump stuffed with about 70% Matala and 30% lava rock and a 500gph pump. After not eating for the first 2 weeks they arrived, they are finally eating chopped worms and small pieces of silversides. The tank they are in has about 25 white clouds and unfortunately they are snacking on those too! I used to have the rays in a 125 with a pair of jardini and a swamp eel but I think it was a little crowded. They are much more active and hungry in their 75. The plan is to grow them out and put them in a 400 acrylic tank that I scored for 400 bucks

Anyway, pics for proof! Excuse the algae....haven’t wiped the tank down yetView attachment 1381548

View attachment 1381549
Great pickups

note2self

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2014
pac nw
Come to think about it, that really do look like BD hybrids...hmm. Here’s a video from today. What do you guys think? Any tips on caring for these guys. So far my parameters are on point and they are eating

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
My guess is that there is bd in them too. The pup furthest away might be motoro/pearl x bd but cant say for sure unless you can post a better picture of it.

Freshwaterfishlover

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2019
Yea the darker one is differently not a Motoro. The other maybe a Motoro Pearl. Since it’s illegal now to get some variety of wild Stingrays they are shipped mislabeled purposely so they past customs. My LFS was selling a Stingray as a Motoro and it clearly was not.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Yea the darker one is differently not a Motoro. The other maybe a Motoro Pearl.
Id say it can be motoro in it. All traits dont show up from the start. An ray develops alot when they are small.

The top one in the pics can be as i stated motoro/pearlhybrid mixed with an bd.

But i find it quite wierd that kevin and rodrigo sold these hybrids as motoro x pearl.

Here is one of my larger females that is motoro x pearl.

20190704_164654.jpg

note2self

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2014
pac nw
So after looking back into our text conversation, I believe these are what they call “white spot motoro hybrid” stingrays and not necessarily “motoro x pearl”. Before anyone flames me, it was a weird situation where I was not happy with the quality of the first fish I received from them and I was offered a refund or trade. Long story short, Rod and Kevin made it right and I have these stingrays in my possession as a result. Originally I wanted motoro x pearls, but I saw these hybrids and chose those instead. They were labeled “motoro hybrid” so I figured it was the same cross. Sounds like I was a little confused on that part and they might be BD/motoro hybrids or something. I’m not sure. But I wanted to make it clear that Rod and Kevin in no way tried to mislead me or sent the wrong fish. They are solid businessmen and I plan on getting more fish from them in the future.

Anyway, more pics!

370A6B6B-80E5-493E-BD9A-76FF5B78C315.jpeg

6D2D79E9-4CCF-4825-90C9-C61BDE83FC90.jpeg

C080238B-43BE-409E-A223-882C57DA9450.jpeg

Reactions: Matteus

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
What i meant by find it wierd is that these looks like some black hybrids:) if they did send them as motoro x pearl you got a score with these rays:) im pretty sure both rod and kevin as solid as rocks to do business with as they are two known big names in this part of the hobby:)

So to say it with some simple words. Youve got some nice rays from them.

But please cover your heater as rays do get heaterburns really easy:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store