2 rays - showing aggression?

stewy781

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Winnipeg
I have 2 newly acquired stingrays. They lived together before we got them, but I have noticed that they like to climb on top of one another. I believe the female does it more to the male than the male to the female. They are very young, and very small, and are definitely not at breeding age. Could this be a sign of dominance? Are they roughhousing like puppies would? Also, does anyone know what the least messy food to feed them is? We are swooping the net around the tank every day to get the little pieces of fish from floating in the water, and I am worried about the nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia levels if we leave them in there.

KJP

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2006
Cincinnati
Stewy, first of all welcome! Second of all that is a very common thing rays do climbing over the top of each other. My two 12" females are always going over the backs of each other and my new 6" male. Not two worry. The least messy food to feed that i have found is either redworms or krill and you are right to clean out any uneaten food to keep nitrates down. Since you are new i might recommend you read the sticky's above they will give you lots of info not to mention the ray books by Dr. Ross.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store