20” Sailfin Pictus Catfish - internal issue vs. ?

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
To my eye this looks like water retention in the body aka swelling. Body and tummy distended. The eyes are pushed out. The lips are swollen. With my fish, many would exhibit such symptom as one of the last stages of illness, followed invariably by death. Sorry bro. I hope you save them, but be prepared for failing, so it doesn't hurt too bad.
thanks victor!

dang.... i’ve got salt in there - more general cure you think?

i’ve got two spare tanks i could remove and put them in two groups sick and not as sick -

not sure.... sucks....

does this mean i killed their kidneys with the antibiotics? dang....

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
If the gen cure is as stated above - prazi + metro - these are very unlikely to cause bad side-effects even at a large OD.

IDK about removing. It's a judgement call.

It's not a given this is necessarily a kidney failure and if it is, the reasons can be plenty through no fault of your own.

You are (as we all often are) fighting something in the darkness. When is the vet coming? Maybe he/she could have you get a sample and submit to a pathology lab? Just thinking out loud. I have never done either of these, neither the vet, nor pathology lab.

Reactions: dr exum

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
If the gen cure is as stated above - prazi + metro - these are very unlikely to cause bad side-effects even at a large OD.

IDK about removing. It's a judgement call.

It's not a given this is necessarily a kidney failure and if it is, the reasons can be plenty through no fault of your own.

You are (as we all often are) fighting something in the darkness. When is the vet coming? Maybe he/she could have you get a sample and submit to a pathology lab? Just thinking out loud. I have never done either of these, neither the vet, nor pathology lab.
i thought i had made in home apt for 3/3 but it’s in their office - so i can bring one in - have to choose which one to bring in - either 1/2 blind mono or one of the three bloated units -

may try to bring two -

my in home apt will be end of march sadly ?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Yeah, I wish I could be much more helpful. I don't recall if you stated your thoughts on possible origins of the problem. Have you gotten by chance those problem pinima pbass from Wes or some other vendor? I mean troubleshooting like this may or may not help. Only you can think of all the factors.

From us, I'd think we can't say much beyond what had been said - broad spectrum internal and external antiparasitic and broad spectrum antibacterial would seem the only reasonable suggestions. Again, given that no other sources of stress or malefactors are identified in troubleshooting. If your water checks out and other basic things too, we could talk about wild "what if's" but usually this is not helpful.

Reactions: dr exum

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Yeah, I wish I could be much more helpful. I don't recall if you stated your thoughts on possible origins of the problem. Have you gotten by chance those problem pinima pbass from Wes or some other vendor? I mean troubleshooting like this may or may not help. Only you can think of all the factors.

From us, I'd think we can't say much beyond what had been said - broad spectrum internal and external antiparasitic and broad spectrum antibacterial would seem the only reasonable suggestions. Again, given that no other sources of stress or malefactors are identified in troubleshooting. If your water checks out and other basic things too, we could talk about wild "what if's" but usually this is not helpful.
yes -

i have 3 of the “problem pinima “ wondering if they need to be culled...

they are still in QT - i could have easily cross contaminated with python during water changes -

taking the two belly buglers to the vet in 1 hour -

only other two other than the pinima are my smaller fogo (bleeding eye / red fin joints) and ocel (one eye fungal?)

i need more QT area ??

i’ve got 180watts of UV running in their tank so hopefully no more spreading of badness....

i’ve got a house apt with vet in 3 weeks -

thanks Victor / Ken!

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Ocel - getting IM injection

Orino getting necropsy ? - sent to state lab for analysis -

• Love

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Are you doing the injection? Requires at least two shots two to three days apart....right? What a pain if to have to transport.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Are you doing the injection? Requires at least two shots two to three days apart....right? What a pain if to have to transport.
ya - ive got the two additional shots - 3 days apart - IM

i’ll try to get wife to help do them....

maybe gonna try n sedate a bit with clove oil vs bass rodeo in the plastic bin ?

we’ll see -

lab results back in a week -

C2F085EA-2F0A-4F4C-9A75-2148632DAA74.jpeg

62CB9FAF-14E5-422B-BA81-486F5C9A67C4.jpeg

• Love

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Wish you luck. The antibiotic hopefully will help the bass recover but you still need to remedy the cause if you haven't already done so. Sometimes over doing it is the problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store