200 Gallon ideas

Kris39

Feeder Fish
Jan 26, 2020
So I’m getting a 200 gallon complete saltwater setup this weekend. She’s selling everything for a set price so I figured I’d just buy it all. But I was planning on doing freshwater predator tank. Now I think I want to do a saltwater predator tank. I have a ton of experience with both. So what I’m asking is, if you were to get this tank. What would you do? Plus, what fish would you buy and all that good stuff. Looking forward to your ideas and hoping it sets in stone what I want to do. Thanks.

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
Would depend on length and width of the tank and what the "setup" actually entails. I am assuming since your doing SW your going to do some sort of FOWLR setup...maybe some sort of Trigger (which I would add last) some damsels, bird wrasse, dogface, maroon clown, and your CUC for the bottom. It is hard to say without dimensions, filtration, and setup. For SW I would ask over on one of the reef forums tbh.

I switch to FW exclusively several years ago because it isn't as much of a PITA. I left town for a little over a week and the person watching over my tank made some little mistakes and bleached thousands of dollars of coral and the tank crashed (losing a lot of stock) after several years of running. I know your not wanting to do coral, but I was tired of being taken hostage by SW at that point.

It is a lot of investment (time and mostly $$$)...not hard but $$$ investment to cut down on continual maintenance and time. IME a good diy auto water top off system is a must. I would run RO/DI water line from another room and pump it with a peristaltic pump from your reservoir for your auto water topoff. Although your buying what seems to be a complete setup...I am sure your going to have to sink at least 4-5 times that in it before your tank is running tip top (that is a very conservative estimate).

What would I do? FW with a wet pet and some dithers :)

Reactions: Kris39

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
With the right footprint I’d suggest rock groupers/eels. Miniatus groupers are stunning and max around 16”. Mine makes a great hardy wet pet

321FC41C-9049-48DF-9A36-1BD04718C746.jpeg

Reactions: Kris39
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store