200g Stocking Ideas

lastmanstanding

Exodon
MFK Member
May 31, 2019
Moore County, NC
Got a new tank again and wanted to reach out to see what people thought I should stock It with.

I was thinking of doing some frontosas (Burundi or Mpimbwe), clowns, with some acaras and yellow labs.

I can be swayed. The only thing that I am guaranteed to keep is the clowns because they are coming from the previous owner of the tank.

Also looking at drilling the tank and installing the shadow overflow into a 55 or 75 sump (Have not decided if doing wet/dry or moving bed).

Internet you may release the kraken!

Reactions: tlindsey

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Got a new tank again and wanted to reach out to see what people thought I should stock It with.

I was thinking of doing some frontosas (Burundi or Mpimbwe), clowns, with some acaras and yellow labs.

I can be swayed. The only thing that I am guaranteed to keep is the clowns because they are coming from the previous owner of the tank.

Also looking at drilling the tank and installing the shadow overflow into a 55 or 75 sump (Have not decided if doing wet/dry or moving bed).

Internet you may release the kraken!
Personally as for frontosa I would recommend some Cyphotilapia frontosa "Black Widow" they tend to be spendy for fronts but honestly the most unique imo. I would avoid adding acaras to an African tank tho as they won't like the ph much. Yellow labs would be nice as a color difference from the fronts. Also when you say clowns what do you mean by that exactly?

Reactions: tlindsey

lastmanstanding

Exodon
MFK Member
May 31, 2019
Moore County, NC
Personally as for frontosa I would recommend some Cyphotilapia frontosa "Black Widow" they tend to be spendy for fronts but honestly the most unique imo. I would avoid adding acaras to an African tank tho as they won't like the ph much. Yellow labs would be nice as a color difference from the fronts. Also when you say clowns what do you mean by that exactly?
Thanks I was looking at the black widows just a few minutes ago. By clowns I meant clown loaches.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Thanks I was looking at the black widows just a few minutes ago. By clowns I meant clown loaches.
Ahh ok yeah I was about to say if you were talking about clown knives I would forego the cichlids entirely. But since it's loaches they should be fine. How many ya getting?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
3 clown loaches. They are about 4" each.
Nice they're pretty well grown out of their baby stage then lol just don't be afraid if they seem like they died for no reason. Clown loaches play dead when stressed or sleeping. Mine always looked like he was dead at night when sleeping. I would still recommend getting a few more to make an even 6 tho as they tend to do better in groups.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I was toying with the idea of a frontosa tank some time ago. The more I looked into it the more I became aware that to get the best out of them you really need to just make it a species only tank. They aren't the most active fish and I just didn't want half a dozen fronts doing nothing.

I'm a clown loach fan so i'd suggest, if you like them as much as me, and because there are three coming with the tank anyway, i'd suggest a clown loach tank. As a species only tank you'd see all their quirky behaviour, some of which you don't always get in a community tank.

Granted, you'll need to buy a load more clowns to make it interesting but because they grow so slowly you'll get years and years of entertainment out of them before you need to start thinning out the group because of the eventual size they'll get to.

And when you do get round to selling them you'll get big bucks for them.

But like I said, i'm biased regarding clown loach, there's hundreds of other stocking options.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I was toying with the idea of a frontosa tank some time ago. The more I looked into it the more I became aware that to get the best out of them you really need to just make it a species only tank. They aren't the most active fish and I just didn't want half a dozen fronts doing nothing.

I'm a clown loach fan so i'd suggest, if you like them as much as me, and because there are three coming with the tank anyway, i'd suggest a clown loach tank. As a species only tank you'd see all their quirky behaviour, some of which you don't always get in a community tank.

Granted, you'll need to buy a load more clowns to make it interesting but because they grow so slowly you'll get years and years of entertainment out of them before you need to start thinning out the group because of the eventual size they'll get to.

And when you do get round to selling them you'll get big bucks for them.

But like I said, i'm biased regarding clown loach, there's hundreds of other stocking options.
I do agree, clown loaches are really fun and interesting fish that can get to some monstrous sizes. I've seen some that even get to 3 feet in length. But they do take an incredibly long time to get there. I had one for about 2 years and he barely went from 3-6 inches during that time.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I do agree, clown loaches are really fun and interesting fish that can get to some monstrous sizes. I've seen some that even get to 3 feet in length. But they do take an incredibly long time to get there. I had one for about 2 years and he barely went from 3-6 inches during that time.
Clown loach......THREE FEET in length!!!!! How much had you had to drink that day!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store