2018 Season

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Pictures from the past few days on the Au Sable. Spent Sun-Wed fishing streamers and dry flies for trout and bass. Weather was nice and temps weren't too high, fishing was a bit tough at times but still managed some great fish. Highlight of the trip was Tuesday after what was a really hard day of fishing throwing streamers for about 7 hours without any trout at all. Finally about 6pm we hiked into one of my favorites spots which is a bit deeper into the woods. I had told my buddy on the hike in all it takes is one cast to change the outlook of the day, and I was right. After about a half dozen casts starting to work some sweepers on the far bank a big brown trout crashed the fly and put up a good fight before I was able to slide the net under him. Taped out at 20" right on the nose and had some beautiful colors.

Was an enjoyable trip. Back home now for a little over 2 weeks to get some rods done and get the boat ready before heading back up for 16 days next month.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Nice and that big trout looks delish.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan

She cleans up well for being almost 30 years old. Getting ready to head up to the Au Sable for my annual two weeks of fly caught smallmouth & pike. One good thing about this year is my Nephew just started a new job last month so while it sucks he won;t be able to join us like usual at least I will now have someone to stop by the house daily to feed my fish and check my tanks while I am gone.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016

She cleans up well for being almost 30 years old. Getting ready to head up to the Au Sable for my annual two weeks of fly caught smallmouth & pike. One good thing about this year is my Nephew just started a new job last month so while it sucks he won;t be able to join us like usual at least I will now have someone to stop by the house daily to feed my fish and check my tanks while I am gone.
Good luck, hopefully your catch more than hammer handles

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Trip had ups & downs with tons...TONS of rain, and the worst part was the lower unit of my motor locking up on me on the 2nd day of the trip. You have no idea how hard it is to row a 1000lb boat against a 2.5mph current 1/2 mile until you have to do it by yourself one night :eek: So only had the boat for two days of fishing on this trip. Good thing is I have been fishing the Au Sable for over 40 yrs now so I at least know where to go for spots wading in to get nice fish with the two handed spey rod which makes longer casts from thick bankside wading easier to still get fish on the fly. Lots more pics to come later still.

Lots more pics to come as I get a chance.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Nice, I like to fish confluences when it rains, makes for great shallow water fishing

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store