Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

220g ply/epoxy

Discussion in 'DIY Projects and Ideas' started by captainahab, Jun 30, 2011.

1. captainahab

captainahab MFK Members

Dave
      Jun 20, 2014
      Finally finished! I am a professional cabinet/furniture builder, but this took WAY longer than I expected. Primarily because it started out to just be a plywood box to winter my CA cichlids in.....turned in to an awesome display tank along the way.

full view.jpg

The bottom, back, right side and half left side are 2" foam filled (R10). The blue stain you see is water base because epoxy will not adhere to any other stain. The only fiberglass I used is on the vertical-strip built filter in the back left corner. More on filter in a minute. All visible wood (except stained blue plywood) is solid, reclaimed Red Oak.

front view.jpg
      Approx. inside dimensions are; 47" L X 34" W X 32" H. Calculates to 221 gallons completely full. My designed water line is 1" below full.

root ball.jpg
      Massive Silver Maple root ball was a great find. It took quite a bit of chainsaw work to get it just right. I would prefer to not have the rocks quite so much on it, but until it is better waterlogged, necessary.

end window.jpg
      This is a 2" deep water test. I will show final pics later.

The filter is approx 20g in size and had several criteria in the design; I wanted a bottom level intake, wanted a strong output to create current, wanted the first level filter medium to be accessible from the top for simple cleaning and I wanted pump space available for future wet/dry add on. The sketchup should show my concept. What you can't see in any picture is that the bottom of the filter is 3/4" above the tank bottom, which creates a great diffuser intake. The pvc cap you see in the photo is a secondary intake; in the case of fry or some other reason to not want intake at the bottom, I move that cap onto the vertical intake, install a diffuser on the front and I have a surface intake.
      filter shot.jpg
      sketchup filter.jpg

front view.jpg

sketchup filter.jpg

full view.jpg

end window.jpg

filter shot.jpg

root ball.jpg

2. captainahab

captainahab MFK Members

Dave
      Jun 20, 2014
      Oh, I forgot to explain the substrate! I didn't want sand or anything the big cichlids could rearrange at will, but also wanted a natural look. This is epoxy saturated sawdust of 3 different kinds (Red Oak, Limoncillo and Pine) mixed rather thick to give dimension. It turned out fairly rough but looks great.

3. KLee79

KLee79 MFK Members

Feb 24, 2015
      looks good! fill it up!

4. captainahab

captainahab MFK Members

Dave
      Jun 20, 2014
      And one more explanation. In the first pic you can see a black canister on the left side of the hood, that is an air intake for my sealed air pump system. There is an airstone part way down into the filter medium to further aerate. It only draws in outside air, the hood is effectively sealed so there is a very minor positive pressure inside. Primary reason for this is that this tank sets in my work shop! Lots of sawdust going on.

5. sunfishh

sunfishh MFK Members

Monday at 2:05 AM
      I think that is the best looking plywood tank I have ever seen

6. sross

sross MFK Members

Seth Rossiter
      Aug 27, 2017
    7. KLee79

KLee79 MFK Members

Feb 24, 2015
      I have to comment twice on the natural look of the setup. I also thought about using expoy to make the substrate and to make a river/creek that ran from side to side. Looks very good. FILL IT UP!

8. JML1997

JML1997 MFK Members

Justin
      Jan 17, 2018
      That's really nice...I really like your aquascape.

9. captainahab

captainahab MFK Members

Dave
      Jun 20, 2014
      It's finally filled! Had a very small leak in the silicone that tried to kick my ***, but got it handled. Then found out my pump/filter system may be a bit too strong; sucked a 2.5" rainbow cichlid right up the intake! Got that managed.
      Then discovered that my salvini and texan that were supposedly growing up out in the garden pool no longer exist! So....it's looking a bit empty. Will post pics when there are enough fish in it to actually see something.

10. jvasquez9248

jvasquez9248 MFK Members

Nov 12, 2016