225gal stand and sump

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
So after considering a 150 and 180 for my growing cichlids, currently housed in a 75, I ordered up a 225 gallon marineland glass (72x24x30) and I now have less than a month to construct a stand for it, which should be doable.

A couple of questions for you wily vets:

I want to construct the stand so I can easily access the sump, which will be my old 75 gallon tank, directly under the display tank. It's 48 inches across so my question is how should I set up the supports? Maybe 2 2x4s a foot apart on each end? Or would I definitely need a couple on center to support the weight? I've built cabinets and benches before just nothing that's supposed to support over a ton lol.

As far as the sump itself, Id like to install a single overflow directly in the center of the tank. Would that be adequate or should i go with two or more overflows spaced out more?

Also, at what depth should the overflows be drilled and how large should they be?

Thanks!

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
For the stand on my 72x30x25 I left the back open and have a removable center brace. At setup time I place the stand a few feet away from the wall, slid in my 75g sump placed the center brace in(tight fit, may have needed a mallet), secured the brace with pocket screws using a kregg jig and slid the stand into its final resting place before putting the tank on it.

I be seen many tanks with a center overflow and don't recall any complaints, I had an external overflow on the end of my tank so I can't speak from experience with a center wier overflow.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Thanks!

I ended up canceling that order on the marineland and decided to go with a tank from glasscages instead. When I talked to the guy and he told me he would install the overflows exactly how I wanted them I was sold.

I'm actually split between your size tank, the 72x30x25, and the taller 240, the 72x24x31. Going to do a single center overflow with either of 1.5" and a 75 gal sump.

I intended to build the stand so I could access the sump from the front through cabinets, leaving a 48" section of the front without a support to the ground, but maybe 2 2x4s at 0 and 12 inches from each end, and maybe a 2x10 joist lagged into those running the length of the stand on the front to handle the weight.

I had another idea of maybe just a steel shelf and building removable panels to hang on that. Would be cost effective and practical.

Where is your tank located? 1st or upper floor?

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
http://imgur.com/avFxelx This is the framing for my stand, it's a little tall but it's easy to access the sump. My house is a ranch on a slab so it's on concrete. If/when I upgrade again I would think about a steel stand and skinning it by I don't regret my diy stand one bit. Here's the finished product, found doors made to size online for $40-50 so I went that route http://imgur.com/r6VpkyF

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
That's a great job. Certainly looks sturdy. I wasn't planning for near that amount of reinforcement on the supports but I guess I should...steel rack is looking more and more attractive.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Even if it's rated for 3k I would be nervous with that. It's been a few years since I shopped for mine but I want to say a proper steel stand welded and painted was around $400.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Even if it's rated for 3k I would be nervous with that. It's been a few years since I shopped for mine but I want to say a proper steel stand welded and painted was around $400.
Right but a 240 shouldn't top more than What? 2500? 2600 lbs? What shelves were you looking at? I was trying to find the sturdier ones possible

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
https://www.dasaquariums.com/products/galvanized-steel-aquarium-stands?variant=1403645827

Not here specifically but this style. If you know any iron workers or pipe fitters they should be able to do it as a side job.
I am a welder myself but I couldn't use the shop at hq. Too many stupid coworkers who would notice my misuse of company property.

But I could probably stickweld a couple of x frames onto that other shelf. That's the only difference I see as far as support.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store