24 year old 125 gallon tank silicone looks great?

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
This is an old saltwater tank that needs a severe cleaning. I removed all the dried salt from the bottom of the tank and saw the date it was manufactured and was pretty shocked. Figured it was a newer tank especially with the black trim.

How does the silicone look?

Should I just proceed with a water test and go from there?

20190320_145936.jpg

20190320_145946.jpg

20190320_145954.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Reactions: Irecruitfish

DThompson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Blaine, MN
I think I have the same tank, is the brand "All Glass Aquariums"? Yours has a nice thick/wide silicone bead similar to mine and I've had mine for 10 years with no issues. I bought mine off craigslist so I'm not sure how long it's been around. I've had no issues and never resealed it.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
I think I have the same tank, is the brand "All Glass Aquariums"? Yours has a nice thick/wide silicone bead similar to mine and I've had mine for 10 years with no issues. I bought mine off craigslist so I'm not sure how long it's been around. I've had no issues and never resealed it.
Not sure if I saw a brand anywhere but will take a closer look once I drain it. Hopefully it passes the water test!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The silicone and tank looks to be in good shape from what I can make out in the photos.I would sit it outside,fill it up with water and let it sit for a few days for some real peace of mind.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
The silicone and tank looks to be in good shape from what I can make out in the photos.I would sit it outside,fill it up with water and let it sit for a few days for some real peace of mind.
Thanks for taking a look. It's in my storage area in my basement...too cold out here in Chicago for the outside test.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Oh okay.....got a drain on the floor?
Yes but it's further away. If the tank were to leak it would be a huge mess and would reach my carpet(I know who puts carpet in the basement!? Previous owner).

I remember a while ago I was testing a 220 used but left it outside and thankfully I did because it leaked! But it was during warm weather. So far I've filled the tank halfway and let it sit over night and it's fine. Emergency wet Vacs and a gazillion towels are near should the worst occur.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yes but it's further away. If the tank were to leak it would be a huge mess and would reach my carpet(I know who puts carpet in the basement!? Previous owner).

I remember a while ago I was testing a 220 used but left it outside and thankfully I did because it leaked! But it was during warm weather. So far I've filled the tank halfway and let it sit over night and it's fine. Emergency wet Vacs and a gazillion towels are near should the worst occur.
I've seen a few carpeted basements and I knew someone who's bathroom was carpeted,always thought that that was rather odd.
It sounds as if you have things well under control in case something goes wrong.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
I've seen a few carpeted basements and I knew someone who's bathroom was carpeted,always thought that that was rather odd.
It sounds as if you have things well under control in case something goes wrong.
Depending on the climate carpet is bad idea because of humidity in the basement. I'm lucky in the sense the carpet is very thin but if it gets damaged I'll welcome the project of installing ceramic tiles. Yes I remember my parents had carpet in the bathroom! Jeez I can't imagine that now with my 3 little boys.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store