240g fahaka setup

ace1250

Feeder Fish
Mar 9, 2020
240g, 125 sump, refugium will be in sump with my marmokreb who is actually carrying eggs at this moment. she is in a 10g right now. I'm thinking lots of driftwood with a few hardy plants. I'm sure they will get ripped apart, but worth a shot I guess. My question is with the 240, and lots of driftwood for hiding places, there is a large jack Dempsey who can hold his own at my LFS. the tank is still being planned out, and the fahaka is about 6-7 inches right now. Can I put anything in with my fahaka? My friend had the fahaka and is moving so I am adopting him, but he had him with some Africans and a few red terrors. he has been with tankmates for a long time now, and no signs of aggression but I know they can flip a switch and go crazy.

Reactions: dr exum and pinfish

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
With Fahakas it’s always a gamble and while he / she may tolerate his current tankmates, its hard to say if he will tolerate a different tankmate...

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
240g, 125 sump, refugium will be in sump with my marmokreb who is actually carrying eggs at this moment. she is in a 10g right now. I'm thinking lots of driftwood with a few hardy plants. I'm sure they will get ripped apart, but worth a shot I guess. My question is with the 240, and lots of driftwood for hiding places, there is a large jack Dempsey who can hold his own at my LFS. the tank is still being planned out, and the fahaka is about 6-7 inches right now. Can I put anything in with my fahaka? My friend had the fahaka and is moving so I am adopting him, but he had him with some Africans and a few red terrors. he has been with tankmates for a long time now, and no signs of aggression but I know they can flip a switch and go crazy.
Welcome aboard

Reactions: dr exum

diver63748

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2019
Vancouver Island
240 setup is beautiful setup for a fahaka. Mine is still little so i wont be able to comment for the long term plans for you keeping it with tank mates but jacks are pretty mean so might not tolerate a fahaka. As for plants, if you are putting them in the main tank then, go for it. No plants will survive with crayfish though. Dont place crayfish with plants as they will become expensive food.

Carter020108

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2018
I would suggest being very careful with the jack mine will only tolerate mbunas I tried to introduce a large jack once fahaka Ripped it in half

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store