260 Gallon Filtration

CMP168

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2020
Hello all. I've followed this forum for a few years to get advice on particular things but I thought it was time to create my own account to engage with the community.

I'm purchasing a used 260 gallon tank (84Lx24Dx30H) and need some advice regarding filtration. The person from whom I'm buying it from has a few silver dollars and 20 or so tetra and is currently using an under gravel filter (YUCK) so I'm going to need to change all that out. I have a 125 community/grow out tank now running 3 Penguin 350s (~1,000 gallons/hr) but the 265 deserves a full canister system which I'm totally oblivious to. Extensive research has led me to believe that a Fluval FX6 will more than suffice for the inhabitants which are 2 Siamese Datnoids (4 inches), 2 chocolate chiclids,(4-5inches) 1 large(14 inch) common pleco, a 6 inch marble oscar, a flagtail prochilodus, at this point 2 fire mouths (though I would like to add at least a few more or several Jacks), POSSIBLY 5 Balas (which may or may not stay in the 125) and POSSIBLY a LARGE 10 inch parrot.

I should add that my LFS suggested running either a 40 gallon sump or 2 separate Fluval 407s which sounds like overkill considering the FX6 is rated up to 400 gallon aquariums. I'm not a huge fan of sumps and am using an open stand so canister would be better as I could build a small enclosure for it. Worse case I guess I could run 2 FX6s but that seems INSANE.

Any help would be seriously appreciated.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello all. I've followed this forum for a few years to get advice on particular things but I thought it was time to create my own account to engage with the community.

I'm purchasing a used 260 gallon tank (84Lx24Dx30H) and need some advice regarding filtration. The person from whom I'm buying it from has a few silver dollars and 20 or so tetra and is currently using an under gravel filter (YUCK) so I'm going to need to change all that out. I have a 125 community/grow out tank now running 3 Penguin 350s (~1,000 gallons/hr) but the 265 deserves a full canister system which I'm totally oblivious to. Extensive research has led me to believe that a Fluval FX6 will more than suffice for the inhabitants which are 2 Siamese Datnoids (4 inches), 2 chocolate chiclids,(4-5inches) 1 large(14 inch) common pleco, a 6 inch marble oscar, a flagtail prochilodus, at this point 2 fire mouths (though I would like to add at least a few more or several Jacks), POSSIBLY 5 Balas (which may or may not stay in the 125) and POSSIBLY a LARGE 10 inch parrot.

I should add that my LFS suggested running either a 40 gallon sump or 2 separate Fluval 407s which sounds like overkill considering the FX6 is rated up to 400 gallon aquariums. I'm not a huge fan of sumps and am using an open stand so canister would be better as I could build a small enclosure for it. Worse case I guess I could run 2 FX6s but that seems INSANE.

Any help would be seriously appreciated.
Welcome aboard
The lfs recommendation of a sump would be ideal. Sumps are very efficient and easier to maintain than a Canister filter.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard
The lfs recommendation of a sump would be ideal. Sumps are very efficient and easier to maintain than a Canister filter.
A moderator will move your thread probably to setup and filtration forum.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
nice, welcome!

CMP168

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2020
So in a sump vs canister conversation the sump comes out on top?

What is the differential regarding maintenance? Other positives of a sump over canister?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So in a sump vs canister conversation the sump comes out on top?

What is the differential regarding maintenance? Other positives of a sump over canister?
I've personally hear that maintaining a Canister filter is a timely task. A sump utliziing filter socks is simple as swapping the filter sock and that's it. Also heater and extra bio media and sponge filters can be tossed in a sump for future setups or fry aquarium.

CMP168

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2020
Interesting. Again, being new to anything other than HOB would the recommendation be to build a sump or buy one pre-fabricated? I’m pretty handy so building on wouldn’t be a problem. Perhaps some more research regarding a sump is in order. Any sites other than a basic google source to point me to in regard to how to make one? Advice?
Thanks! I appreciate all the feedback.

Jacob92677

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2019
South Orange County CA ?? USA ??
Sump will be better in the long run and easier to maintain
If you go fx 6 I’d get at least 2 The gph rating dramatically drops when you add a few feet of hose and it’s full of media , sponges etc don’t get fooled by there advertising on gph that’s at 0 head height and no media I believe
(my 300 runs 3 fxs )
The maintenance does take me a bit longer since I have to shut off valves, disconnected hoses , unscrew a bunch of fittings, pull apart baskets , then swap rinse media, I don’t mind but it’s a process takes a good hours or two every couple months but can vary on the tank Load. I like my canister b/c I feel confident nothing will over flow or leak and if one fails I have 2 more ,
There are pros and cons to each and after keep 3 fxs I will vote for a well planned sump system with a good energy efficient pump For simple maintenance,
I don’t mind the time but also wouldn’t mind 2 min filter sock swaps and more room for media
Plan it right and it will pay off
Btw best way to buy a fx6 is at PetSmart when it’s on sale it’s usually around 250 ish

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
This what it all boils down to. If your tank is not drilled for a overflow, then canister is going to be the way to go. That's a large bioload your running so multiple canisters would be ideal. I would suggest 2 to 3 fx5 or 6 for that size aquarium. Hob overflow boxes aren't reliable enough, and drilling a 260 glass tank isn't everyone's cup of tea. That's the only reason to not run a sump.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
All filters do the same thing, just in different forms, they grab debris (mechanical), provide flow, and in turn circulate food to beneficial bacteria (biological.
The actual differences between a can and a sump, are few, but mostly related to volume, and ability to be creative with filtration.
In reality a canister is...a tiny pressurized sump.
The normal flow differences can be dramatic, in a sump you can use various size pumps, from low flow to very high, I like high flow so a reason I choose a sump with pumps in the minimum 1000 gph plus range on tanks of 125 gl and up, the larger the tank, the more flow seems needed (depending on species kept).
Biological media is somewhat of a factor, in a sump you are only limited by the size, I prefer to use old tanks that can use more or less depending on bioload, canister usually fits no more than the amount of the chamber. Most of my sumps are in the 50 to 100 gallon capacity.
Mechanical media is also restricted by size, in my sumps I like to use varied types, filter socks, Poret Foam, etc and because media like Poret can also be biological I use use large pieces.
And use sumps as refugiums and places to grow plants, by using the larger enclosures they also are places to keep gear like heaters and other unsightly filtration gear out of the main tank, hidden.
Maintenance is important to me, when I had cans, because they were not user friendly to clean, I was lazy.
Sumps make maintenance simple, I can clean media often and easily without disassembling or shutting down pumps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store