270 gallons- to reseal or not to reseal. That is my question.

BadBrad

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2018
United States
I have found someone who wants to sell their old 270 gallon tank. The tank has leaked and they have bought a new one. I have resealed several tanks with success in the past (75 g, 30 g, 125 g). This tank comes with a sump, stand and lights. The price is great. But I am concerned about the volume of water and pressure of a tank this size. The owner told me the tank leaked but it did not sound as if it gave away. Sounds like a slow leak to me. But the question is still the same. Even if the price is right is it worth it to role the dice and reseal this tank?

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Glass or acrylic? Is the price low enough that just the miscellaneous equipment makes the purchase ideal to have them on hand for another project?

BadBrad

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2018
United States
Glass or acrylic? Is the price low enough that just the miscellaneous equipment makes the purchase ideal to have them on hand for another project?
Glass. i don’t have room to store. If I purchase it would be to reseal and setup. So what do you think? Thanks.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Where’s the leak? Can you just redo the fillet seal on the inside of the tank or is it the fay seal between two panels? The fillet seal only requires removing several inches of silicone. The fay would require redoing potentially more.
My 220 was free and only required minimal work. If you think the price is right and worth the effort I would try.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
I am guessing there was a small dribble leak. Most likely due to the tank not being supported evenly and the tank being tweaked.

You could probably reseal the bad spot, put it on a proper level stand and be good.

Taking a whole tank apart and resealing it properly is an option... just not one that I am willing to invest the time and effort in. When I was young and broke (pre-teen and teen) I got ALL of my aquariums from my middle school science teacher and replaced the broken panes and resealed them.

BadBrad

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2018
United States
Decided against it. Just needed to much work. In the middle of a 125 reseal. So need to get this up and running before taking on another. ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store