275 cube finally

Oddballs

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
United States
Well I've posted about the tank I have just waiting on a hole big enough to get it into the house. Well they guys showed up today to start installing the window that the tank will be able to go through. I will be updating the post of pics and progress of the tank. First step is to buff out the acrylic and reweld the stand should be an interesting couple weeks.

Reactions: fishfanatic80

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
Congratulations on making it happen, that seems like a really nice set up. I've never seen a cube at that size. What are the dimensions? Can you post a pic of the tank? Do you know what your gonna stock it with already? I'll be watching your progression for sure.

Reactions: Rox

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
So if I can do math that is 40"x40"x40". Sounds like a really fun size.

You actually need a new window, or just temporarily remove a window? if you had any sort of double casement you could just take the trim off and remove the window from the house temporarily.

Oddballs

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
United States
The tank is 40x40x40 with a middle overflow. Tankmates is a little up in the air but I've been leaning towards bichirs and misc type of fish. The gf wants me to convert it to a massive discus tank/planted.
On the window discussion I'm actually getting a whole new window put in that I will be able to remove from the inside. This give me the chance to move or bring in the tank anytime. Here is a pic of the tank in storage still have to reweld the stand and buff the tank out but headed in the right direction.

IMG_20160924_143010052.jpg

Reactions: JK47 and J. H.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
That's a crazy tank man, why did you go for the cube? Aquascaping or just a space thing?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Love it! It's unique. I have always wanted to do a ton of wood and plecos. That tank would be perfect

Reactions: Oddballs

Oddballs

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
United States
So far 4 bichirs(biggest is 14 inches), a red severum, upside down catfish I was gifted and two vampire plecos (6inches each). Strange combo but most are given to me from a lfs that couldn't handle them.

Oddballs

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
United States
So haven't posted on the construction yet but here is what's been happening. Finally got a patch of good weather and they were able to start cutting into the house to open up the window. Turns out there was a water pipe about a foot over from the window. Had to divert that over to allow the window enough room. This of course slowed down the work and now it's raining but they decided to come out and put the window in. Went back for lunch and saw that they are also beginning to reenforce the floor where the tank will be. Made sure to specifically ask for lots of support and explained to the guys how much weight will be on top of it.
The window is 48 inches across which gives me plenty of room it's mostly lifting it over the railing but I have plenty of friends to do the heavy lifting. If the window is in tonight I will upload more pictures.
I guess the next step is designing the sump, polishing the acrylic and figuring out which pump I will be buying. Plus what the stock will be, it's kind of up in the air at the moment.

IMG_20170320_174523843.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store