3-4 inch fahaka

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
hey guys I'm getting my 3-4 inch fahaka tomorrow and was wondering what the best temp would be for this size. Also what should I be feeding him at this size and how often a week?
twentyleagues twentyleagues
Fat Homer Fat Homer

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Snails, krill, crayfish, pellets if it will take them. I keep my fish room at 78f tanks sit at about 76f mine is very active. What I've read says they are good 74-82f. I was feeding mine every other day, he's gone from about 1/2-3/4" to around 3" I got him in may. I had to change tanks (leak) now he's in a tank about double the size I've been feeding daily. Mine is always hungry. I've trained mine to eat pellets but I still toss in a few snails as I'm unsure if the pellets are hard enough to keep his teeth trimmed.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Snails, krill, crayfish, pellets if it will take them. I keep my fish room at 78f tanks sit at about 76f mine is very active. What I've read says they are good 74-82f. I was feeding mine every other day, he's gone from about 1/2-3/4" to around 3" I got him in may. I had to change tanks (leak) now he's in a tank about double the size I've been feeding daily. Mine is always hungry. I've trained mine to eat pellets but I still toss in a few snails as I'm unsure if the pellets are hard enough to keep his teeth trimmed.

Every other day seems low for a baby fahaka.... they should be growing close to 1 inch a month roughly.... you might wanna treat yours.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Every other day seems low for a baby fahaka.... they should be growing close to 1 inch a month roughly.... you might wanna treat yours.
Yeah I've increased feedings. I noticed when I first got him every day feedings seemed to diminish his activity so I backed off a bit. Most of my fish eat every other day. Fish don't eat every day in nature and if they do it's not at the level of nutrition or amount we feed.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Yeah I've increased feedings. I noticed when I first got him every day feedings seemed to diminish his activity so I backed off a bit. Most of my fish eat every other day. Fish don't eat every day in nature and if they do it's not at the level of nutrition or amount we feed.
Certain fish might not eat everyday but keeping fish as aquarist we tend to feed them enough to grow to their potential.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Certain fish might not eat everyday but keeping fish as aquarist we tend to feed them enough to grow to their potential.
That's true. But do we really know what the potential is and how long it should take to reach it? We hypothesize what that time table is from others keeping the same animal in "optimal" conditions, yet testing shows some of those same species in the wild live longer and continue to grow longer and larger then the hypothesis. I follow how my fish look and act to determine their overall health and well being. Animals act a certain way when hungry or satiated and their bodies show it too, color, activity level, body condition, appearance of stress and not just speed of growth all factor in. Could smaller meals daily or more provide benefit? absolutely. Daily smaller feedings has him not begging as much and showing more interest in what's happening. Instead of rushing around looking like "omg you're going to feed me" hes more like "oh you are watching me?" "What are you doing to the glass?" " What's up with this plant?" " Oh food that's cool." Like I said most of my other fish get evey other day feedings and some interact with me in a similar curious manner on a daily basis more like what are you doing then food food food. But food is cool too. So yes long story short Ive been feeding him daily and that will continue until he acts different then his current way. He will be in his 180 in a couple weeks which may change his attitude again, we will see. On another note since the move and feeding change he hasn't killed any of the guppies I put in with him. Though the ones he killed early on he didn't eat, well just the heads but the bodies were left alone.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Mid to high 70s. To begin with I would do canadian nightcrawlers then transition to snails & crawfish once its eating well for you. I've stuffed empty snail shells, dubia roaches, & even smeared food on a rock .

Puffers are easy. Fat belly = full, flat belly= feed again. At 3-4" I'd say everyday to every other day feed until the aggression declines with a decent size belly. You'll figure it out quick though.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
That's true. But do we really know what the potential is and how long it should take to reach it? We hypothesize what that time table is from others keeping the same animal in "optimal" conditions, yet testing shows some of those same species in the wild live longer and continue to grow longer and larger then the hypothesis. I follow how my fish look and act to determine their overall health and well being. Animals act a certain way when hungry or satiated and their bodies show it too, color, activity level, body condition, appearance of stress and not just speed of growth all factor in. Could smaller meals daily or more provide benefit? absolutely. Daily smaller feedings has him not begging as much and showing more interest in what's happening. Instead of rushing around looking like "omg you're going to feed me" hes more like "oh you are watching me?" "What are you doing to the glass?" " What's up with this plant?" " Oh food that's cool." Like I said most of my other fish get evey other day feedings and some interact with me in a similar curious manner on a daily basis more like what are you doing then food food food. But food is cool too. So yes long story short Ive been feeding him daily and that will continue until he acts different then his current way. He will be in his 180 in a couple weeks which may change his attitude again, we will see. On another note since the move and feeding change he hasn't killed any of the guppies I put in with him. Though the ones he killed early on he didn't eat, well just the heads but the bodies were left alone.

I'm not here to debate or get off track... i asked 2 simple questions from those who have had YEARS of experience.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store