3 AC110s for a 125 gal?

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
each filter contained two large AC sponges, and was topped with floss. No speciality "bio-media" at all, just sponges, and floss.
I am a fan of sponges too, all my filters are almost just sponges of different densities. My tanks have "felt" better since I did the switch some years ago.

Generally, clean filters on which gunk is removed to prevent the media from going anaerobic and filters with better access to oxygen would be superior at nitrification than any other type. Media can hold more than enough BB amount in the presence of sufficient oxygen. I would imagine due to the design the AC110 would have better oxygen exchange than a canister.
They would not be better at mechanical removal but it is no good using a filter to collect gunk if you want it to do nitrification.

I personally still use canisters but I have sponges on the intakes as pre-filters so they stay quite clean between maintenance. Then I also have hanging plantet baskets full of clay pebbles which get flow right on top from the canisters for additional round of filtration and these theoretically should be quite rich in oxygen due to the plant roots releasing it and close proximity to the surface.

I own fluval internal filters which are fairly old and indestructible but I haven't own an external yet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store