300 Gallon Newt Pond

Flowerhorn Gal_AL

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
I just ran across this thread & wow! These guys are awesome & well done on the diy! I'm going going to use the same stock tank for 5 beautiful comet goldfish. If I need help, I'll be looking back at your plans & pics as reference.
I also hope that I could ask questions of you as well. Wish I could have newts, too, but my SO is frightened of these.
Again, wonderful job! This thread will be my hobby light reading!
LovePeaceFish?✌?

Flowerhorn Gal_AL

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
It is one of the major reasons for this project. To ensure the long term success and availability of the species.

The ban means that every laotriton that will ever be produced in the US will come from a founding stock of 62-78 animals (16 of the originally 100 imported animals are unaccounted for, the rest are in Canada or Korea).

And there is currently a petition to ban a large number of frogs due to ranavirus :(
Ranavirus? Wow, shades of now with corona virus!

Reactions: MatteoTheEnder22

NathanKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2016
Nor*Cal
So I just read the entire thread and it looks awesome so is there any updates for 2020!!!
This is awesome - I used to keep emperor newts as a kid. We need more herpetologists around here which is my other love besides fish.
Nice job!

Any updates?

So I guess I should give an update: Not much has changed at all.

The hatchlings i last showed grew up and sold out in early 2020.
I suffered a fire event in northern california last summer, lost a hundred plus animals due to being half way across the state.
I also work in a field impacted by covid and that has meant i worked 62 weeks straight at over 100 hours.

All in all, I didn't even try for hatchlings in 2020. Hopefully this year. Lots of growth in the ponds and switching to kessil 360x's was a worthwhile investment. Hoping to get some breeding going this fall.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store